Kelly Pavlik rallied from a second-round knockdown to stop fellow American Jermain Taylor in the seventh round on Saturday and claim Taylor's World Boxing Council middleweight title.
Pavlik (32-0, 29 KOs) remained unbeaten and handed Taylor the first defeat of his career when he stopped the champion after two minutes 14 seconds of a brutal seventh round in front of a crowd of 10,127.
"He caught me flush but I showed heart," Pavlik said of the earlier knockdown. "Once I got up and shook off the cobwebs, I knew it would be a good night."
Both fighters came out with plenty of spark in the opening round going toe-to-toe. Taylor (27-1-1, 17 KOs) landed a flurry of punches in round two, flooring Pavlik who somehow managed to survive the round.
"My first thought was [expletive]. This is going to be a long night," Pavlik said. "I got back up. I have been trained to take a punch like a mule and I did what I could to survive that round."
Pavlik, who was the underdog going in, regained his composure in between rounds and came out and had a strong third round.
Pavlik was finding plenty of success with his jab, picking off Taylor almost at will as he moved the champion around the ring.
But it was a stunning power punch that sent Taylor reeling back into Pavlik's corner midway through the seventh.
Pavlik again sent a left jab through the Taylor defenses before delivering a crunching right that shook the champion to his core and sent him back-pedaling into the corner.
Pavlik went straight after him continuing his assault with a stunning series of punches, a right upper-cut to Taylor's chin followed by a clubbing left hook and then another left that had his man sinking to the floor and out of the fight.
Referee Steve Smoger stepped in to stop the fight as Taylor absorbed a barrage of blows while slumped against the ropes in Pavlik's corner.
Taylor said he made a tactical error in the second round by pressing too hard for the knockout.
"I just can't believe I lost," Taylor said. "I had him hurt and I thought I had him."
"I wasted a lot of energy by throwing unnecessary punches that I shouldn't have. I got caught," he said.
There is a rematch clause in the contract and both fighters said they would honor the agreement.
HEATED RIVALRY: The pair had met 14 times previously, with Sabalenka winning eight of the encounters and entering the final as the favorite to take the title Elena Rybakina took revenge over world No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka to win a nail-biting Australian Open final yesterday and clinch her second Grand Slam title. The big-serving Kazakh fifth seed held her nerve to pull through 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne in 2 hours, 18 minutes. It was payback after the Belarusian Sabalenka won the 2023 final between two of the hardest hitters in women’s tennis. The ice-cool Rybakina, 26, who was born in Moscow, adds her Melbourne triumph to her Wimbledon win in 2022. It was more disappointment in a major final for Sabalenka, who won the US Open
GUNNING FOR A WIN: The victory sending Arsenal to the final for the first time in six years was cathartic for a team who had lost their previous four semi-finals Arsenal on Tuesday reached the League Cup final for the first time in eight years as Kai Havertz sealed a 1-0 win against Chelsea in the semi-final second leg. Mikel Arteta’s side had put themselves in pole position in the first leg and Havertz came off the bench to finish the 4-2 aggregate victory in the closing moments at the Emirates Stadium. It was a cathartic triumph for the Gunners, who had lost their previous four semi-finals in last year’s UEFA Champions League and League Cup, the 2022 League Cup and the 2021 UEFA Europa League. In their first final for six years,
Denver superstar Nikola Jokic returned from a 16-game injury absence to post a 31-point, 12-rebound double-double on Friday and propel the Nuggets to a 122-109 NBA victory over the Los Angeles Clippers. Three-time NBA Most Valuable Player Jokic had not played since suffering a bone bruise in the left knee he hyperextended in a game against Miami on Dec. 29 last year. The Serbian big man did not miss a beat. He led all scorers, connecting on eight of 11 shots from the field, and also handed out five assists with three steals while playing just 24 minutes, 32 seconds as the
DEADLINE DAY: Rennes’ Jacquet had been linked with a transfer to Chelsea earlier this month, but was reportedly put off the move due to the Blues’ bloated squad Liverpool on Monday won the race to sign Stade Rennais defender Jeremy Jacquet on the quiet final day of the English Premier League transfer window, while Crystal Palace swooped for Wolverhampton Wanderers striker Jorgen Strand Larsen despite the collapse of Jean-Philippe Mateta’s move to AC Milan. The Reds agreed a reported fee of up to £60 million (US$82 million) for the highly rated Jacquet. However, the 20-year-old will not join the Premier League champions until the summer despite Liverpool’s need for defensive reinforcements. Jacquet had been linked with a transfer to Chelsea earlier this month, but was reportedly put off