Sun, Jul 22, 2007 - Page 24 News List

England strike back after late first innings collapse


England bowler James Anderson, right, celebrates with captain Michael Vaughan, left, and Alastair Cook after taking the wicket of India's Sachin Tendulkar during the second day of the first Test at Lords in London on Friday.


England struck back after a late innings collapse to have India at 145 for four wickets at stumps on the second day of the first Test on Friday, after taking the prize wickets of Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid.

India had put in a vastly improved bowling performance to dismiss England for 298 after play started three hours late at Lord's because of rain. India were 153 runs behind at stumps.

India's inexperienced pace attack, which had struggled on the opening day, took advantage of helpful conditions and England's last six wickets collapsed for 26 runs.

England responded by reducing India to 36-2 at tea, before Tendulkar and Wasim Jaffer steadied the innings with a 79-run third wicket partnership.

Tendulkar -- seeking his first century at Lord's on possibly his last tour of England -- was dismissed leg before wicket (lbw) by fast bowler James Anderson for 37.

Shortly before Tendulkar's dismissal, which left India on 106-3, Jaffer notched his seventh test fifty and his second at Lord's when he took four runs off a Monty Panesar delivery.

Jaffer struggled to deal with the fast bowling of Chris Tremlett and became the England rookie's first Test wicket. Tremlett took a low return catch to dismiss Jaffer for 58 and leave India on 134 for four.

No. 5 Sourav Ganguly was on 24 in the 55th over when he began stretching at the crease in apparent discomfort, but he kept batting until stumps, hobbling between the wickets. He finished 25 not out.

Rudra Pratap Singh was 5 not out.

India lost opener Dinesh Karthik when he was trapped lbw by Ryan Sidebottom in the ninth over to make it 18-1. Dravid, the captain, followed three overs later, edging Anderson to wicketkeeper Matthew Prior.

Earlier, the Indian bowlers extracted movement from the pitch to prevent England from getting the huge total they had hoped for.

Sreesanth took three wickets to finish with 3-67, while Khan got rid of Kevin Pietersen and Ian Bell to take 2-58.

Khan bowled nightwatchman Sidebottom for 1 in Friday's first full over, and Pietersen almost went in the second. Dhoni appealed for a catch behind off Khan and Pietersen walked toward the pavilion without protest.

Umpire Simon Taufel gave Pietersen out, but Pietersen then caught sight of a TV replay that clearly showed the ball had bounced before reaching the wicketkeeper's gloves. Instructed by his teammates, Pietersen turned around and strolled back to the middle.

Taufel reversed his decision amid the confusion but Pietersen lasted only until Khan's next over, edging the seamer to Dhoni and departing for 37.

Prior and Tremlett fell lbw to Sreesanth in the next over. Panesar went lbw to Sreesanth and Bell was bowled, via his pad, by Khan to wrap up the innings.

This story has been viewed 1769 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top