Buffalo Sabres co-captain Chris Drury was helped off the ice with a severe cut across his forehead, sparking a major melee against the Ottawa Senators in the NHL on Thursday.
All 12 players on the ice, including both goaltenders, were involved in a five-minute brawl that eventually involved both coaches yelling at one another at the benches.
Both goalies, Ottawa's Ray Emery and Buffalo's Martin Biron, were ejected, as was Sabres tough guy Andrew Peters. Officials handed out 100 minutes in penalties, including 63 against the Sabres.
It all began 5:07 into the second period with Buffalo up 3-2 when Drury was bowled over by a blind-side hit by Ottawa's Chris Neil. Drury had just snapped a shot on net from the right circle and Neil, without slowing, hit Drury from behind.
The hit knocked Drury's helmet off and sent him flying. Drury lay on the ice with blood flowing from his forehead while Sabres rookie Drew Stafford fought Neil. Both received 5-minute fighting penalties.
Neil, however, was not penalized for his hit on Drury who, after being helped up, made his own way to the locker room. Drury, who scored his 33rd goal earlier in the game, did not return because of what the Sabres described only as a head injury.
The brawl began after the ensuing faceoff when Buffalo's Adam Mair punched Senators star Jason Spezza in the head.
All 10 players then squared off and Biron skated to center ice, where he was met by Emery. Both goalies traded several punches before Peters took on Emery, landing several heavy blows.
Both coaches then got into a yelling match with Ottawa's Bryan Murray standing on the side boards at the end of the Senators' bench and pointing at Buffalo's Lindy Ruff.
The game was delayed for about 20 minutes while officials sorted out the penalties.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
DISSENT: The US track and field body joined sports officials in Norway and Brazil, as well as Indian athletes, in calling on the IOC to postpone the Tokyo Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 organizers have started drafting possible alternatives to holding the Olympics this summer, two sources familiar with the talks said, in contrast to the Japanese government’s stance that postponement is not an option. While the COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted sports events around the world, Japan has been steadfast in saying that the Games would go on. A Japanese government spokesman on Wednesday said that Tokyo was not preparing for postponement. “Finally, we have been asked to make a simulation in case of a postponement,” said one of the sources, an official close to the organizing committee who is involved in drafting the
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last