Sat, Nov 25, 2006 - Page 18 News List

Wie finishes 100th in field of 101 at 12th men's event

AFP , KOCHI, JAPAN

Michelle Wie missed the cut in another men's tournament disaster yesterday, coming to grief with a second straight poor round at the US$1.2 million Casio World Open here.

The 17-year-old high school student from Hawaii double-bogeyed a short hole in addition to six other bogeys and went without a birdie again to hole out with a two-round total of 17-over-par 161.

She finished 100th in a field of 101, one stroke better than 22-year-old amateur college student Tomomichi Oto and 27 strokes off leader Tetsuya Haraguchi.

Her tee-shots went wide over or down adjacent slopes and missed several birdie chances on the 6,616m Kuroshio Country Club course.

"I'll just have to work hard on my driver," she said, adding that she would go back to see her swing coach David Leadbetter before Christmas.

It was her 12th attempt in a men's national or international event. Last year she failed to make the half-way cut by just one stroke here at one of Japan's richest golf events.

Wie has survived the cut only once when she finished 35th at the Asian Tour's SK Telecom Open in South Korea last May in a largely Korean field. She has also competed in six US PGA events.

Asked if she had to review her campaign against men, she replied: "Since I played not like myself, I don't think about revaluating myself. Definitely, I learn a lot by playing with the guys," Wie said.

Despite simmering criticism against her appearance in the men's game as a sponsors' exemption, she is scheduled to play in the PGA Sony Open in her native Hawaii in the second week of January at the start of her second full year as a professional.

She has finished third at two majors, the Kraft Nabisco and the US Open, and fifth at the LPGA Championship this year.

This story has been viewed 1854 times.
TOP top