Andy Murray started the year as heir apparent to Tim Henman and enjoyed his crowning glory with a first title in San Jose followed by becoming only the second man this year to beat Roger Federer.
But his breakthrough season ended in a whimper on Thursday with a Paris Masters third round defeat at the hands of Dominik Hrbaty which left the 19-year-old Scotsman admitting he couldn't wait to take a vacation.
"It's been a really tough year mentally for me," Murray said after his tame 7-6 (8/6), 6-0 defeat to the experienced Slovakian.
"It's been a successful year and I think I've earned a break. I've played a lot of tennis and I've done a lot of travelling. I've flown around the world to fit the Davis Cup into my schedule and that makes it a little bit tougher too," he added.
Murray, now ranked 19, started the year at 64 in the world and hasn't looked back.
He clinched his first ATP tour title in San Jose beating former world number ones Andy Roddick and Lleyton Hewitt in the semi-final and final respectively.
He also found himself on the gossip pages of his home country tabloids when he celebrated his California win with a very public clinch with girlfriend Kim Sears.
Along the way there have been fall-outs with the demanding British press whom he accused of putting him under unrealistic pressure as the tireless hunt for a potential Grand Slam winner honed in on another suspect.
But a sign that the boy from Dunblane had arrived came in August when he achieved tennis's version of mission impossible -- beating world No. 1 Federer.
It came in the second round of the Masters in Cincinnati with a straight sets triumph which had followed a first round dismissal of Henman.
"There always comes a time when it's kind of meant to be," said Murray who along with Rafael Nadal is the only man to have got the better of the Swiss world number this year. "I just felt it was my time to win against him."
Since then, Murray has also found time to prevent Britain from sinking into the twilight world of the Davis Cup Euro/Africa Group Two by winning twice in Ukraine.
"I've played a lot since the start of the year. I tried to pace myself a bit better towards the end. I feel like it's time for a break, recharge the batteries and get ready for the next year," he said.
His planning for next year will be taken after consultation with coach Brad Gilbert, the man behind part of the success stories of Roddick and Andre Agassi.
"I'll see what Brad wants to do ... but I wouldn't mind taking a holiday somewhere, get in the sun, have some time to myself," Murray said.
Argentina's David Nalbandian and Tommy Robredo of Spain became the latest players to book their places in the Shanghai Masters Cup on Thursday as the US' James Blake was left sweating on his chances.
Nalbandian, the defending Masters Cup champion, made sure of his inclusion in the eight-man field without hitting a ball when Germany's Tommy Haas beat Blake 6-4, 6-2 here in the Paris Masters third round.
Robredo also reserved his seat on the plane to China with a 6-4, 7-6 (7/1) win over France's Paul-Henri Mathieu.
Nalbandian, absent from the Paris tournament because of a stomach injury, and Robredo, join Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Ivan Ljubicic, Andy Roddick and Nikolay Davydenko as the confirmed starters in China on Nov. 12.
"It's a dream for me to be in the Masters Cup," said the 24-year-old Robredo, the world No. 7.
"At the beginning of the year it was my goal. After winning the Hamburg Masters I was nearly sure I would finish the year in the top ten. Then I had another goal: `Why not try and make the top eight and qualify for the Masters Cup.' This is the best year of my life."
Blake now sits in the eighth and final qualifying place but he can be overtaken by Mario Ancic if the Croatian ninth seed wins his quarter-final on Friday.
Haas, the 10th seeded German, could also still make the China showpiece but he needs to win the Paris title and hope Ancic falls before the final.
Ancic, who picked up his second title of 2006 in St Petersburg last weekend, gave his hopes a huge boost with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over France's Julien Benneteau and will face fourth seed Davydenko in the last eight.
"In St Petersburg, I knew from the first round that I had to keep winning matches," said Ancic.
"I'm really delighted with the way I've been playing."
Haas faces former triple champion Marat Safin who was assured of a quarter-final spot when French 16th seed Richard Gasquet withdrew from their scheduled third round match-up because of a right thigh injury.
Defending champion Tomas Berdych and Davydenko made quick work of their third round opponents.
Berdych, the eighth-seeded Czech, cruised past America's Robby Ginepri 6-3, 6-3 while Davydenko enjoyed a 6-2, 6-2 win over compatriot Dimitry Tursunov.
Top-seeded Jelena Jankovic rallied for a 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 win over US player Vania King on Thursday at the WTA Bell Challenge.
In June, the 21-year-old Jankovic edged King 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, in the second round at Wimbledon.
A surprise semi-finalist at the US Open, the Serbian dropped just four games in her first-round match against Milagros Sequera of Venezuela, while King had to rally past Varvara Lepchenko of Uzbekistan, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Poutchkova overcame an early deficit to beat German qualifier Tanja Ostertag 5-7, 6-1, 6-2, in Thursday's first match.
Also in the top half of the draw, No. 4 Severine Bremond rolled to a 6-1, 6-4 triumph over German qualifier Greta Arn.
The Frenchwoman will face Slovakian Martina Sucha in the quarter-finals.
US qualifier Lilia Osterloh routed Russian Anastassia Rodionova 6-4, 6-1, in the only other match on Thursday.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
When two Spanish soccer players took to the controls of FIFA 20 after the COVID-19 pandemic saw their La Liga match canceled, a stadium-sized virtual audience watched online. The huge digital crowd last week is part of a spectacular boom for the digital gaming industry, as record numbers flock to online servers for distraction, entertainment and friendship with the “real world” seemingly falling apart. Real Betis Balompie striker Borja Iglesias kicked the winning goal using his own digital likeness in the 6-5 battle against Sevilla, which was broadcast on popular video game streaming platform Twitch. It took place at the same time the
This year’s Wimbledon Championships have so far survived the cull of the world’s most prestigious sporting events due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but it seems only a matter of time before they are postponed or canceled. With London in its first week of lockdown, All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (AELTC) officials are weighing up their limited options. The “build” for the June 29 to July 12 championships is supposed to start in little more than a month, but it seems increasingly likely that Wimbledon will be forced to miss a year for the first time since 1945. “The AELTC has been
New Zealand Rugby CEO Mark Robinson has said that the sport is “fighting for survival” as competitions at all levels are shuttered amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Robinson told Sky Sport’s The Breakdown that he cannot say when professional rugby might resume in New Zealand and in what form, whether it would be the five-nation Super Rugby tournament or the domestic Mitre 10 Cup. Rugby is New Zealand’s national sport and the All Blacks, the national men’s team, are one of the country’s most recognizable brands. The continuing suspension of competitions has been fully testing rugby’s resilience, Robinson said. “We’re fighting for sport’s survival in