Jimmie Johnson won a two-lap sprint on Sunday to claim his first Daytona 500 victory, winning American stock car racing's premier event six days after his pit crew chief was suspended.
Johnson had a strong car when he arrived at Daytona International Speedway 10 days ago, and posted the fifth-fastest time in time trials. But when the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) inspected his car, officials discovered that crew chief Chad Knaus had made an illegal modification.
Knaus was barred from the event, seemingly spoiling Johnson's shot to win The Great American Race.
PHOTO: AFP
Just moments after Johnson crossed the finish line, his rivals were wondering if the win was legitimate.
"This could still be the first opportunity for NASCAR to pull away a victory if the thing is illegal," third-place finisher Ryan Newman said. "It's disappointing. I think a lot of Jimmie Johnson and his talent, but I'm pretty sure at least three of his last four wins have had conflictions with the cars being illegal.
"You know, it's not necessarily good for the sport."
But, Johnson avoided trouble in a wild race that saw Tony Stewart eliminate three contenders: Jeff Gordon, Matt Kenseth and himself. Then Johnson worked his way to the front, staying in line and waiting for his opportunity.
It came with 14 laps to go when he squeezed past teammate Brian Vickers to grab the lead just as race officials slowed the field for a caution period because of a crash. Johnson was at the front of the field on the restart, and stayed there to the end -- including one final restart after Jamie McMurray wrecked with seven laps to go to bring out one final caution.
It set up a final dash, but no one was able to challenge him.
"I knew deep down inside my heart that this team could still win this race," Johnson said in Victory Lane. "There's no doubt that not having Chad here was a huge handicap, but everybody stepped up. I am just so proud of this team."
Casey Mears, part of the three-man team that won the 24 Hours of Daytona sports car race earlier this month, was second with Newman, who was trying to give Roger Penske his first Daytona win in 33 tries, just behind.
Stewart was fifth, rookie Clint Bowyer was sixth and Brian Vickers was seventh. Dale Earnhardt Jr. wound up eighth after leading a race-high 32 laps. Ken Schrader and Dale Jarrett rounded out the top 10.
Earlier this week, Stewart forced NASCAR to crack down on bump drafting and aggressive driving when he warned that someone could be killed in the 500.
Then he became the first driver in the premier Nextel Cup series to be penalized under the new policy.
He began his day by hitting Gordon -- a heavy favorite to win a second straight 500 -- early in the race to eliminate him from contention. Then Stewart took out a second potential winner when he made a hard left turn into Kenseth.
Stewart's contact severely damaged Kenseth's car and NASCAR quickly penalized Stewart by ordering him to the back of the field.
Taiwan’s top male badminton player, Chou Tien-chen, on Saturday bowed out in the men’s singles semi-finals at the Thailand Open after losing in straight games to Thailand’s Kunlavut Vitidsarn. The world No. 6 Chou, seeded fourth at the Super 500 tournament, lost to the world No. 2 Thai 21-7, 21-19 in 53 minutes. The victory improved Vitidsarn’s head-to-head record against Chou to 3-5. Chou, 36, trailed throughout the opening game after the score was tied 2-2. His relatively passive approach allowed the 25-year-old Thai to capitalize on Chou’s defensive clears with powerful smashes while committing few unforced errors. The Taiwanese
FRUSTRATION: Gauff smacked herself on the head with her racket before storming down the tunnel, emerging afterward to have a heated discussion with her coach Elina Svitolina on Saturday won the Italian Open after beating Coco Gauff 6-4, 6-7 (3/7), 6-2 to claim her third Rome title, while Jannik Sinner set a date with Casper Ruud in the men’s final. Ukraine’s Svitolina had not claimed a WTA 1000 title since her last victory at the Foro Italico eight years ago, but prevailed over the ever-erratic Gauff to claim her 20th tournament triumph. Saturday’s win over Gauff was her third in a row against a player in the top four of the world rankings — including Iga Swiatek and Elena Rybakina — ahead of the French
West Ham United’s 3-1 defeat at Newcastle United on Sunday left Tottenham Hotspur realistically only needing one more point to win the battle for English Premier League survival, while Bruno Fernandes made history in Manchester United’s 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest. Spurs can avoid dropping out of the English top flight for the first time in nearly 50 years with victory at Chelsea today, but a draw would also likely suffice thanks to their much superior goal-difference over West Ham. “Overall bad performance. Too many things [went wrong], I think we gifted them the goals,” West Ham head caoch Nuno Espirito Santo
Jannik Sinner has his eyes on a first Roland Garros title after winning the Italian Open on Sunday to claim a record-extending sixth consecutive Masters 1000 tournament victory. World No. 1 Sinner beat Casper Ruud 6-4, 6-4 to complete the “Golden Masters” by winning all of the ATP’s top-ranked events, in the process becoming the first Italian men’s champion in Rome since Adriano Panatta 50 years ago. Only Novak Djokovic had previously won all nine Masters 1000 events before Sunday, but there was little doubt about Sinner triumphing over the past 10 days. Sinner heads to Roland Garros, which starts at the weekend,