More than 80 former RCA Taiwan employees from the RCA Self-Help Association (RCA, 員工自救會) yesterday protested in front of the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) in Taipei, demanding the US-based electronics giant take full responsibility for a high incidence of cancer among the company's employees. \nThe AIT, however, yesterday shut its doors and refused to receive the petitioners. \nSecurity guards at the AIT office later agreed to hand over the petition letter to relevant officials. \nThe employees, accompanied by Taiwan Association for Victims of Occupational Accidents and Diseases (工作傷害受害人協會) representatives who jointly organized the petition, later turned to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and recited their sufferings to officials at the ministry's North American Affairs department. A ministry official received the petition letter and promised to pass it on to relevant officials. \nAccording to the workers, soil and ground water pollution at the RCA Taiwan plant in Taoyuan County is suspected of causing more than 1,000 cases of cancer and 157 deaths among employees. Thirty employees have died from cancer alone over the past few years. \nThe workers also revealed that RCA Taiwan had repeatedly dumped toxic waste into wells near the plant, which seriously polluted local groundwater. \nRCA first set up its production facilities in Taiwan in 1970. The company subsequently relocated its production line and its Taiwan operations were subsequently run by GE and the French company Thompson at different times until 1992. \nIn February 1998, the Environmental Protection Administration (EPA) officially confirmed that the area where the plant located had been designated a permanently polluted zone. \nAccording to the EPA report, even after several years of clean-up work, groundwater downstream from the plant still shows high concentrations of toxic chemicals. The EPA also confirmed that the pollution extended up to 1km from the plant. \nThe workers therefore made two appeals yesterday to all three companies: \nFirst, RCA, as well as GE and Thomson, should immediately send representatives to Taiwan to look into the case. \nSecond, the US and French governments should closely examine the three companies' overseas investment plans. No capital increase should be approved before labor-management disputes overseas are properly solved. \nThe former RCA workers said they will demonstrate again on April 12 when a US-sponsored environmental protection meeting will be held in Taipei City.
PHOTO: CHIANG YING-YING, TAIPEI TIMES
India yesterday went into a three-week lockdown, with one-third of the world now under orders to stay indoors. India ordered its 1.3 billion people — the world’s second-biggest population — to stay at home for three weeks. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s “total lockdown” call doubled the number of people around the globe under some form of movement restriction to more than 2.6 billion people. However, the order did not stop crowds of people thronging to stock up at grocery shops and pharmacies. India’s tally of 536 cases and nine deaths seems tiny compared with those in China, Italy and Spain, but Indian Prime
MORE YOUNG PATIENTS: The focus is turning from Europe to the US, where the number of known infections reached almost 86,000, more than in China British Prime Minister Boris Johnson yesterday became the first major world leader to test positive for COVID-19 as Spain recorded a record number of deaths from the pandemic that is threatening millions worldwide. In a grim milestone, the US overtook China as the nation with the most cases, while seeing an unprecedented amount of newly unemployed amid fears of a global economic meltdown. Africa’s economic powerhouse, South Africa, became the latest nation on the continent to start life under lockdown as it reported its first COVID-19 deaths. Johnson said that he had developed mild symptoms over the previous 24 hours and was self-isolating
OUTBREAK CURTAILED: Restrictions on residents heading out of Wuhan are to remain in place until April 8, when the city’s airport is to reopen for domestic flights Trains packed with thousands of passengers yesterday arrived in Wuhan as the Chinese city that was ground zero for the global COVID-19 pandemic partly reopened after months in lockdown. Returnees, some wearing two masks, latex gloves and protective suits, were greeted at the railway station by staff in similar gear — a reminder that while the city is emerging from isolation, it is still far from normal. “As the train neared Wuhan, my child and I were both very excited,” a 36-year-old woman told reporters. She and her daughter had been away from her husband for nearly 10 weeks. “It felt like the
The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported 15 new cases of COVID-19, most of whom had studied or worked in the US or the UK before returning home, raising the total number of confirmed cases to 267. The 267 cases include 30 people who have been discharged from quarantine facilities and two deaths, CECC data showed. The new cases were six women and nine men, all Taiwanese, who had returned from the US, the UK, the Philippines, Australia or central America between March 15 and Wednesday, the data showed. With most of the nation’s cases being imported, home quarantine is a second