The Hualien County Government has filed for provisional seizure of assets belonging to developers, building contractors and several business proprietors in connection with the buildings that were damaged or toppled by the magnitude 6.0 earthquake on Tuesday last week.
The move was made on behalf of people affected by the collapsed or partially collapsed buildings in the city, Hualien County Commissioner Fu Kun-chi said, adding that county officials had filed the motions with the Hualien District Court.
Aside from the developers and contractors of the Yun Men Tsui Ti (雲門翠堤) commercial and residential building and two apartment buildings on Hualien City’s Guosheng 6th Street, the provisional seizure orders would include the proprietors of two businesses in the Yun Men Tsui Ti building — the Beauty Inn (漂亮生活旅店) on the first and third floors, and A-Kuan Hotpot (阿官火鍋) on the first floor — along with the architects who were involved in the original construction and the subsequent renovation of these two businesses, Fu said at a news conference.
Photo: Wang Chun-chi, Taipei Times
“We want to prevent these people from transferring or hiding their assets, so that if found guilty of negligence or violating the law, they can be held legally responsible and the rights of victims can be protected,” he said.
Fu also led county officials in bowing and thanking everyone who had provided assistance and financial aid.
A judicial probe is under way, with Hualien prosecutors gathering construction documents and other evidence to determine if negligence, illegal renovations or building code violations were responsible for the buildings’ collapse, which resulted in 17 deaths and scores of people injured.
Investigators have obtained the blueprint and interior layout plans for the Yun Men Tsui Ti building, which showed that the first to third floors were designed as commercial spaces, which is why they had fewer support pillars and concrete walls, experts have said.
Yun Men Tsui Ti residents said the lower levels were converted into a hotel nine years ago, with ownership changing several times. About four years ago, the proprietor of the Beauty Inn took over and initiated major renovations.
Some residents alleged that the proprietor expanded room space by knocking down walls, which they said damaged and weakened the building’s structure and could have been a major reason for its partial collapse during the quake.
In other news, water supply in Hualien County has been completely restored after the quake temporarily cut off service to about 40,000 households, Taiwan Water Corp (台灣自來水) said yesterday.
The earthquake ruptured water pipelines in Hualien City, the Meilun area and Xincheng Township (新城), but Taiwan Water moved quickly to fix more than 800 sections of damaged pipe.
The operation took an entire week and saw more than 500 people working day and night to restore the water supply before the Lunar New Year, the company said.
Several areas in the water network still require adjustments and repairs, but they will not affect the overall supply of water, it said.
The expected surge in water use during the six-day Lunar New Year holiday could lead to low water pressure in certain areas, the state-owned corporation said.
While Taiwan Water’s teams are busy fixing the pipelines, it has stationed 45 water retrieving stations throughout the area and activated seven water delivery routes to provide water for hospitals and those in urgent need of water.
HONG KONG SECURITY: The president blasted regulations requiring Taiwanese agents or political organizations to provide information on their Hong Kong-related activities President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday warned of countermeasures should controversial Chinese national security legislation imposed on Hong Kong undermine or harm Taiwanese interests. Article 43 of the legislation empowers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to serve written notices to Taiwanese political organizations or individual agents to furnish information on their Hong Kong-related activities, including their personal particulars, finances, assets, expenditure and capital in the territory. Failure to comply or providing false or incomplete information can result in a fine of HK$100,000 (US$12,903) or imprisonment of six months or two years respectively. Tsai said that Taiwan would keep a close watch on how
PROBE LAUNCHED: An officer who served as a supervisor in the drill died in an apparent suicide after the accident, which was caused by unexpected waves Two marines who were on Friday injured in a military exercise in the waters off Kaohsiung passed away yesterday, Navy Command said. The marines — surnamed Tsai (蔡), 26, and a sergeant surnamed Chen (陳), 36 — were in a seven-member Marine Corps team that encountered rough seas during a simulated response to enemy forces landing on Taiwan. Their rubber craft overturned in waters off Taoziyuan (桃子園) beach in Zuoying District (左營), injuring four of the marines. They were rushed to hospital, where three of them — Tsai, Chen and a 34-year-old sergeant — were taken to an intensive care unit
MORAL COURAGE: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged the global community to face China’s intention to subdue Taiwan and reject such irrational requests The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday strongly condemned the Chinese government for meddling with US officials’ interactions with Taiwan after FBI Director Christopher Wray revealed China’s efforts to discourage US officials from visiting Taiwan. The greatest long-term threat to the US’ information security and intellectual property, as well as its economic vitality, is China’s counterintelligence and economic espionage operations, Wray told a video event at the Hudson Institute in Washington. Beijing is engaged in a highly sophisticated and maligning foreign influence campaign, with methods that include bribery, blackmail and covert deals, he said. Giving an example, Wray said that when a US official
CAUTION: Taiwan had zero cases of death from food poisoning for six years until last year, when two people died after eating wildlife, an FDA official said The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) yesterday urged the public not to eat wildlife or unidentified wild plants, as they could be fatal, with nearly 7,000 people affected by food poisoning last year, including two deaths due to wildlife consumption. The number of food poisoning incidents increased by nearly 50 percent last year, from 398 cases involving 4,616 people in the previous year to 503 cases involving 6,944 people, FDA data showed. That figure was the second-highest in history, the FDA said, adding that the highest number was recorded in 1997, with 7,235 people. Among the 503 cases, 87 were food poisoning clusters