China has unveiled changes to the structure of its military, adding three new units, described by Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) as “a major policy decision to realize the Chinese dream of a strong army,” state media reported.
The formation of the new units, which follows Beijing’s announcement that it was building a second aircraft carrier, comes with China acting more aggressively in territorial disputes in the South China Sea and East China Sea, drawing the ire of its neighbors and the US.
Beijing in November last year said it planned sweeping changes in a move intended to enhance the ruling Chinese Communist Party’s control over the People’s Liberation Army (PLA).
The latest reforms announced late on Friday are to see a new army unit set up to oversee China’s arsenal of strategic missiles.
Besides the “Rocket Force,” the PLA also unveiled an army general command to serve as the headquarters for land forces and a support unit to assist combat troops, the official Xinhua news agency said.
Xi, who is chief of the Chinese Communist Party and also serves as head of the military, has previously announced plans to slash China’s number of troops by 300,000 to about 2 million to craft a more efficient fighting force.
The Central Military Commission, which Xi chairs, on Friday also released guidelines to help build the country’s vision of a modern military before 2020 by cutting troops and improving the quality of combat personnel, Xinhua said.
The announcements come with China also expanding its naval capacity by building a second aircraft carrier.
The nation’s first such vessel, the Liaoning, is a secondhand Soviet ship built more than 25 years ago that was commissioned by China in 2012 after extensive refits.
The Global Times newspaper, known for its nationalistic editorial stance, said new conditions required a strong army and cited the US as a reason.
“If China has a big gap with the US in terms of military prowess, this will affect its international position and other countries’ attitude toward China,” it said in an editorial posted on its Web site yesterday. “With a strong army, China can be more politically appealing, influential and persuasive.”
Beijing’s armed forces have been involved in sometimes tense confrontations with Japanese and Philippine units over maritime disputes in the East China Sea and South China Sea respectively, prompting fears that the disputes could result in armed clashes.
Meanwhile, the new PLA Rocket Force is tasked with maintaining conventional and nuclear weaponry with the ability to both deter and to strike, Xi told a ceremony for the founding of the three new organizations, according to Xinhua.
However, a spokesman for the Chinese Ministry of National Defense denied any shift in the country’s nuclear weapons policy.
“China’s nuclear policy and nuclear strategy are consistent, there has been no change whatsoever,” ministry spokesman Yang Yujun (楊宇軍) said on Friday, according to a transcript posted on the ministry’s Web site.
The new unit would take over from the Second Artillery Force, he said.
At a military parade in September last year, China showed off “carrier-killer” missiles, including the land-based DF-21 Mod-4 intermediate-range type, which is thought to be equipped with onboard terminal guidance systems that give it the unprecedented ability to attack a moving target.
A Chinese analyst said the latest moves were aimed at modernizing the military.
“For a long time, China had no overseas interests. The navy, air force and guided-missile units were relatively weak compared with the army,” Shanghai University of Political Science and Law professor Ni Lexiong (倪樂雄) told reporters.
“To catch up with European and American powers ... China must raise the modernization level and combat strength of the army,” he added.
‘TAIWAN MODEL’: The government aims to determine whether using normal scheduled flights better meets its objectives than the charter flights used previously The Straits Exchange Foundation yesterday announced a third set of flights to evacuate 440 Taiwanese from China’s Hubei Province due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The flights, operated by China Airlines Ltd (中華航空) according to its normal schedule, are on Sunday and Monday next week. They are to depart Shanghai Pudong International Airport at 7:50pm and arrive at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport at 9:50pm, the foundation said. China Airlines is to dispatch two Boeing 777. The aircraft has a capacity of 358 passengers, but each would only carry 220 to ensure a proper distance is maintained between those onboard, it said. Within hours of the foundation
The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported 17 new cases of COVID-19, bring the nation’s total number of confirmed cases to 252. Of the new cases, 15 were imported and two were locally transmitted, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said at the center’s daily news conference in Taipei. The 15 imported cases were seven women and eight men in their 20s to 60s who entered Taiwan between Monday last week and Monday this week, said Chen, who also heads the center. Prior to the onset of their illness, they had traveled to the US, the UK, New Zealand, Spain,
India yesterday went into a three-week lockdown, with one-third of the world now under orders to stay indoors. India ordered its 1.3 billion people — the world’s second-biggest population — to stay at home for three weeks. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s “total lockdown” call doubled the number of people around the globe under some form of movement restriction to more than 2.6 billion people. However, the order did not stop crowds of people thronging to stock up at grocery shops and pharmacies. India’s tally of 536 cases and nine deaths seems tiny compared with those in China, Italy and Spain, but Indian Prime
An Australian far-right extremist charged with murdering 51 Muslim worshipers in last year’s mass shooting at two New Zealand mosques yesterday unexpectedly flipped his plea to guilty. New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and the Muslim community expressed relief at the surprise decision, which removes the need for a lengthy trial that authorities feared would be used to spout neo-Nazi propaganda. Self-avowed white supremacist Brenton Tarrant, 29, had previously denied 51 charges of murder, 40 of attempted murder and one of terrorism, but reversed his plea at a hurriedly arranged court hearing. “Yes, guilty,” Tarrant told the Christchurch High Court via videolink from