The government is to implement phase-three water rationing in New Taipei City’s Linkou (林口), Banciao (板橋) and Sinjhuang (新莊) districts, and in Taoyuan on April 1 amid declining water levels at the Shihmen Reservoir (石門水庫) in Taoyuan, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday.
“This is a necessary decision in a bid to extend the length of the water supply from the Shihmen Reservoir,” Vice Minister of Economic Affairs Yang Wei-fu (楊偉甫) told a press conference after a water supply meeting.
Water is to be supplied to the areas only five days per week on a rotation basis, affecting more than 1.01 million households and industrial users, Yang said.
“If the situation deteriorates, we might further increase the number of days that the water supply is suspended, such as supplying water for four days and then suspending the supply for two days,” he said. “The worst-case scenario would be to supply water only for a certain number of hours per day, but we are doing everything we can to prevent that from happening.”
Yang said it was agreed to reduce the supply of water to industrial users from the Shihmen Reservoir and the Yungshan (永和山水庫) Reservoir in Miaoli County.
“The 7.5 percent decrease in the daily water supply to industrial users will be increased to 10 percent, beginning on Monday next week,” Yang said.
The meeting also agreed to increase the daily reduction in supply to other industrial users to 7.5 percent from 5 percent, he said.
The Industrial Development Bureau is to report on the potential impact of phase-three water rationing on local industries by the end of next month, Yang said.
Yang said the government wants to encourage households to use water-saving tools to conserve water, including water-saving faucets.
The government plans to discount the bills of individual households if they save more than 30 percent of their water usage compared with last year, Yang said, adding that details of the plan are to be announced by the end of next month.
The government is considering implementing nighttime water rationing during the low-water season between November and March on a regular basis, he said.
Dignitaries from 47 countries yesterday congratulated President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on the commencement of her second term and highlighted Taiwan’s achievements in democracy and its response to the COVID-19 pandemic, after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sent his congratulations a day earlier. As of noon yesterday, 263 high-ranking officials from 47 countries and global organizations had congratulated Tsai via statements, letters, social media posts or recorded footage, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, while releasing a collection of footage sent by selected dignitaries. The governments of Taiwan’s 15 diplomatic allies sent their congratulations, as did the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy,
REASSURING NUMBERS: Taiwan’s test capacity ranks sixth or seventh among 91 nations, and is not low compared with other nations, Chen Shih-chung said The quarantine period for foreigners visiting Taiwan for business would vary based on the COVID-19 situation of the nation or territory that they are coming from, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported the 13th consecutive day of no new cases. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, told reporters at the center’s daily briefing that modified rules covering foreign business visitors had been completed and were ready for him to sign. The complete details of the new rules would be released later this week, he said. Foreigners on long business trips would have
IN PROTEST: The US’ top diplomat said the WHA had been deprived of Taiwan’s scientific expertise, while Tsai said political factors should not be put above health US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo on Monday condemned Taiwan’s exclusion from the World Health Assembly (WHA), while President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday lodged a strong protest against the WHO for not inviting Taiwan. Twenty-two nations voiced support for Taiwan’s bid for participation on the first day of the assembly’s two-day virtual meeting, but despite the global community’s unprecedentedly strong support for Taiwan, it remained blocked from the assembly, with WHO member states on Monday agreeing to delay discussion on Taiwan until later this year. Pompeo, who on May 6 urged WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to invite Taiwan to the WHA,
The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced no new cases of COVID-19, adding that a ban on mask exports would be lifted soon under three conditions. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that 401 people from among the nation’s 440 confirmed cases have been removed from isolation. Yesterday was the 12th consecutive day that no new cases of COVID-19 were reported in Taiwan, and the 37th day of no new domestic cases. “As our local communities have gradually become safe, we should not become careless,” Chen said. “We should continue to take personal protective measures