Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday announced that she would join the party’s primary for the presidential election next year.
“I have decided to join the DPP’s primary for president,” Tsai said on Facebook. “I have my dreams; I have my determination. I believe that resolute implementation of policies needs to be backed by calm thought.”
“Breaking through difficulties requires a strong will,” she said. “The nation needs reform, but pain will certainly accompany it; therefore I will unite with social forces and together we will solve the challenges the nation faces in a steady manner.”
Photo: Wang Yi-sung, Taipei Times
Tsai said that she does not mean to take Taiwan into “an age of the DPP or an age of Tsai.”
She said she would instead create an age that belongs to the public, an “age of [a] new politics of transparency, honesty, public participation, tolerance, clear division of power and responsibility, as well as firm protection of national sovereignty,” she said.
Tsai spoke of how she took over party leadership in 2008, when the DPP was facing its most difficult time, and resumed party leadership last year, after the Sunflower movement, when “party politics” became a negative term in the eyes of many.
She said she is focused on keeping the DPP vital and a good option in the political market.
Tsai said that the government should not just sit aside and watch people struggle to survive on their own and suffer under the leadership of President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), adding that this was why she decided to run for president again.
Tsai’s office announced that she would register at 11am today as a candidate in the party primary.
Tainan Mayor William Lai (賴清德) and former DPP chairman Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌), who were both considered likely to enter the primary before announcing they would not, sent Tsai messages wishing her luck.
NINE NEW CASES: The CECC said two locally transmitted cases of COVID-19, and seven imported ones – five women and two men – brought the nation’s total to 348 People who refuse to wear a mask on public transportation after being asked to do so would face a NT$3,000 to NT$15,000 fine, effective immediately, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday after announcing nine additional COVID-19 cases. In a move to curtail the spread of the novel coronavirus, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications on Tuesday announced that people must wear masks on trains and intercity buses, while Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, on Tuesday said that people should wear them when they cannot maintain a social distance of 1.5m indoors. Chen yesterday
The US National Security Council yesterday thanked Taiwan for its support amid the COVID-19 pandemic following President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) announcement that Taiwan would donate 10 million masks to hard-hit countries. The donation includes 2 million masks to the US on top of the weekly 100,000 announced previously; 7 million to Europe; and 1 million to diplomatic allies, on top of 1 million Taiwan procured for allies from their neighboring countries, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Wednesday. After European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen expressed appreciation for the donations, the US body yesterday wrote its thanks on Twitter. “We
TARGETED TEXTS: The center’s head said that visitor numbers at scenic spots were greater than expected and people did not do a very good job of social distancing The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday sent two warning text messages to urge people to practice social distancing, especially by avoiding crowded scenic areas. The two messages were sent at 11:55am on the third day of the four-day Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, reminding people about social distancing and hand hygiene to help prevent COVID-19 infection. “When visiting crowded scenic spots during the Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, please keep a social distance of at least 1.5m indoors and 1m outdoors, wear a mask and wash your hands frequently. Please wear a mask and seek immediate medical attention if you are feeling ill
STIMULUS FUNDS: Companies that report weak sales can apply for the financial aid, while subsidies for a one-time injection of working capital would also be available The Ministry of Economic Affairs yesterday said that it would subsidize up to 40 percent of workers’ salaries for businesses that have been hard hit by the COVID-19 pandemic. Funded by a NT$39.6 billion (US$1.31 billion) budget — part of a newly expanded NT$1.05 trillion economic stimulus package approved by the Executive Yuan on Thursday — the ministry plans to assist companies with employee wages to help prevent job cuts. Companies facing an annual drop in sales of at least 50 percent for two consecutive months can apply for the financial aid, which would cover up to 40 percent of their employees’