The strong showing at the mass protest in front of the Presidential Office Building in Taipei yesterday has given the students who have been occupying the legislative floor for 13 days the confidence to continue their fight for Taiwan’s democracy, they said.
After protest leader Lin Fei-fan (林飛帆) announced that the number of protesters had surpassed 350,000 — and later surpassed 500,000 — a loud cheer erupted in the legislative chamber, which has been occupied by about 200 students since March 18.
“500,000 people have spoken. President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), do you still plan on hiding? 500,000 people demand your positive response,” Lin said.
Photo: Sam Yeh. AFP
The protest, a collaboration with civic groups, was the first time since the “Sunflower student movement” began that the students tried to actively bring in outside help.
The protest appeared to gain support after President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) rejected the demands the students made in a press conference on Saturday.
Ma conditionally agreed to establish a legislative monitoring mechanism on future cross-strait agreements, but rejected the organization of a citizens’ constitutional conference and the withdrawal of the controversial service trade pact, saying that the monitoring mechanism and the trade pact should be separate issues.
Photo: Wang Min-wei, Taipei Times
The movement’s leadership planned to organize the mass protest on Ketagalan Boulevard to apply pressure to Ma, but asked the students and protesters to head back to the Legislative Yuan compound, which is a few hundred meters from Ketagalan Boulevard, after the scheduled conclusion of the protest at 7pm to continue the original protest.
The leadership’s fear of a lack of manpower was never a concern with protesters packing every road near the Legislative Yuan — Ketagalan Boulevard, Zhongshan S Rd, Zhinan Rd, Qingdao E Rd and Linsen S Rd.
As the mass rally went on in front of the Presidential Office Building, students in the chamber conducted video teleconferences with foreign students who supported their movement in simultaneous rallies in Japan, Hong Kong and Australia.
Outside the Legislative Yuan compound, scheduled activities — including speeches, music performances and movie screenings, went on at Qingdao E Rd and Zhinan Rd, with students at both places watching a live broadcast of the major rally a few blocks away from giant TV screens.
Students returned to the Legislative Yuan compound after the rally ended at about 7:45pm, as members of the public headed home with no major conflicts reported.
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very