Cambodian military police yesterday opened fire with assault rifles to quell a protest by stone-throwing garment factory workers demanding higher pay in a crackdown a human rights group said killed four people.
Chaos during nationwide strikes erupted for a second day as security forces were deployed to halt a demonstration by thousands of workers, who refused to move and threw bottles, stones and gasoline bombs at an industrial zone in Phnom Penh.
The clash represents an escalation of a political crisis in Cambodia, where striking workers and anti-government protesters have come together in a loose movement led by the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP).
Unions representing disgruntled garment workers have joined opposition supporters protesting against the government of Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen to demand a re-run of an election in July last year that the opposition says was rigged.
Military police confronting the protesters fired live ammunition, journalists said, and bullet casings were later seen scattered across the ground at the scene.
The clashes took place at Canadia Industrial Park, home to dozens of factories that make clothing for Western brands.
Human rights group LICADHO described the incident as “horrific” and lambasted military police, adding that their own investigation and surveys of hospitals had found four people were killed and 21 wounded.
“We condemn this appalling use of extreme lethal force by security forces,” LICADHO director Naly Pilorge said in a statement. “Security forces must now put an immediate end to the use of live ammunition against civilians.”
Spokesmen for the national police and military police said they could not verify the number of casualties.
The CNRP, led by former Cambodian finance minister Sam Rainsy, has courted about 350,000 garment workers from nearly 500 factories across the country by promising to nearly double the monthly minimum wage to US$160 if it wins a re-run of the July election, which Hun Sen is refusing to hold.
The government is refusing to raise the wage beyond US$100 a month and has ordered factories to reopen to prevent damage to an industry worth US$5 billion a year.
Taiwanese garment makers Eclat Textile Co (儒鴻) and Makalot Industrial Co (聚陽) shut down their Cambodian factories for a week starting on Thursday last week and relocated their production to factories in neighboring countries.
The temporary shutdown was suggested by the Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia, the two firms said in filings to the Taiwan Stock Exchange yesterday.
They both said the strike would have little impact on their revenue and earnings.
“We reopened our factories on Jan. 2, and some workers have come back to work. But, we will close the factories again, for the safety reasons, if things turn violent,” Makalot public relations manager Mavis Chiu (邱美惠) said by telephone yesterday.
Makalot made 2.33 million units of apparel in Cambodia in 2012, accounting for 25 percent of its total production for that year, according to the company.
Eclat said its factory shutdown will reduce its production by 140,000 pieces of apparel, but that its clients have agreed to postpone their orders.
Eclat said its production capacity in Cambodia was about 450,000 pieces of apparel a month, accounting for 5 percent of its total production.
Additional reporting by Camaron Kao
BUSY DAY: The same day the USS ‘Barry’ passed through the Strait, Taiwan was ending its Han Kuang military exercises, while China said it conducted an exercise near Taiwan A US Navy ship on Friday sailed through the Taiwan Strait, marking the ninth time a US military vessel has transited the Strait since US President Joe Biden took office in January. The USS Barry, an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, conducted a “routine” transit through the Strait, the US Navy said in a statement, adding that the journey through international waters was conducted “in accordance with international law.” “The ship’s transit through the Taiwan Strait demonstrates the US’ commitment to a free and open Indo-Pacific,” the US Navy said. “The United States military flies, sails and operates anywhere international law allows.” The Ministry
FRUIT SPAT: The COA said China had not given evidence for halting wax and custard apple imports, adding that it would spend NT$1bn on promoting sales of the fruit Taipei threatened to take China to the WTO yesterday after Beijing said it would suspend wax apple and custard apple imports from Taiwan due to pest concerns. China’s customs administration earlier yesterday said it had repeatedly found pests called Planococcus minor, a type of mealybug, on wax and custard apples from Taiwan. It asked its Guangdong branch and all affiliated offices to stop clearing the products from today. China had acted unilaterally, without providing scientific evidence, Council of Agriculture (COA) Minister Chen Chi-chung (陳吉仲) told a news conference, criticizing the announcement’s timing, as it came during the Mid-Autumn Festival, celebrated in Taiwan
ON ALERT: A woman who tested positive for COVID-19 while abroad last year tested negative twice in Taiwan before showing a positive result on Sunday, the center said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported two locally transmitted COVID-19 infections, four imported cases and no deaths. The CECC meanwhile warned nearly 500 people to monitor their health after a woman tested postive. The center also reported that a previous local case — a female worker at Taoyuan International Airport Services (桃園航勤), who had the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2 — likely contracted the disease from the same source as a previous imported case from Turkey. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that the two local cases were reported in Taipei, and are a
CLOSED DOORS? The new US rules, which are to be implemented in November, have sparked concern in Taiwan, given its low fully vaccinated coverage rate The US plans to allow entry to most foreign air travelers as long as they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 — while adding a testing requirement for unvaccinated Americans and barring entry for foreigners who have not received shots. The measures announced on Monday by the White House mark the most sweeping change to US travel policies in months, and widen the gap in rules between vaccinated people — who would see restrictions relaxed — and unvaccinated people. The new rules would replace existing bans on foreigners’ travel to the US from certain regions, including Europe. While the move would open the