President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) demand that academics relaunch a study of the 228 Massacre in 1947 is part of his de-Taiwanization effort, and the president owes the victims and their families an apology, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) lawmakers said yesterday.
Showing a document issued by the Presidential Office to Academia Sinica which recommended the institution’s Institute of Modern History revisit the controversial incident and uncover the “real facts,” DPP lawmakers told a press conference that it was part of Ma’s de-Taiwanization effort.
The document stemmed from a letter to Ma from Chinese Maritime Transport Ltd chairman John Peng’s (彭蔭剛) on Feb 21, which asked Ma to rehabilitate his late father, Peng Meng-chi (彭孟緝), a former commander at the Kaohsiung Fortress.
Photo: Chen Chih-chu, Taipei Times
Peng Meng-chi was named by a government investigation into the massacre, published in 2006, as one of the people responsible for the deaths of many innocent Taiwanese as he had ordered a massacre in Kaohsiung, which later earned him the nickname the “Kaohsiung Butcher.”
“It is likely the last piece of the puzzle for Ma’s de-Taiwanization effort after the president’s attempt to revise high-school history textbooks last year,” DPP Legislator Chen Chi-mai (陳其邁) said.
Ma, who accused the DPP of a “desinicization” attempt when the party was in power between 2000 and 2008, has been trying to distort Taiwan’s history into one based on a China-centric perspective, evidenced by his instruction to merge Taiwanese and Chinese history textbooks in July last year, Chen said.
Chen also condemned Peng for his description of Taiwanese who died in the massacre as “thugs” in his letter, saying that Peng and Ma should apologize for vilifying those who perished and their families.
Chen has proposed legislation to subject those who deny or tone down the 228 Incident to up to five years in prison, referencing a German law on pro-Nazi violations.
Ma should explain whether he agrees with Peng’s view of the massacre and should “face the tragedy with humility,” DPP Legislator Cheng Li-chiun (鄭麗君) said.
“Ma’s attempt to rewrite history would be unacceptable in any other democracy, especially when many victims’ families who witnessed the massacre are still alive,” said DPP Legislator Hsiao Bi-khim (蕭美琴), who recently urged the government to extend the period victims’ families can apply for compensation because some were not aware that their relatives were executed until after 1996 — the deadline for applications.
Ma should be ashamed of his “two-handed strategy” — offering sympathy to the victims and their families every year on one hand, while trying to distort history on the other, Hsiao said.
Chen Yi-shen (陳儀深), an assistant researcher at the Institute of Modern History and an expert on Taiwan’s modern history, said various studies showed that Peng Meng-chi’s responsibility for ordering the massacre in Kaohsiung was “indisputable.”
Peng Meng-chi’s role in history should be remembered as more than just a commander who ordered the brutal massacre, Chen said, as Peng was later promoted to commander of the Taiwan Garrison Command, which was responsible for suppressing and killing many democracy activists during the White Terror period.
SAFETY RISK: The government is working to categorize countries based on their COVID-19 cases and prevention efforts, which would determine quarantine periods The government plans to rank countries based on their COVID-19 risks to determine how to treat tourists and other travelers from those nations once Taiwan reopens its borders, but it is still working out the categories, a top health official told lawmakers yesterday. “We would divide countries around the world into several categories. One category would comprise those countries with very few confirmed COVID-19 cases, such as New Zealand and Palau. Travelers from the countries in this category would only need to practice self-health management,” Centers for Disease Control Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥) told a Legislative Yuan seminar hosted by
China would attack Taiwan if there is no other way of stopping it from becoming independent, Chinese General Li Zuocheng (李作成) said yesterday. Speaking at Beijing’s Great Hall of the People on the 15th anniversary of China’s “Anti-Secession” Law, Li, who is chief of the Joint Staff Department of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army Central Military Commission, left the door open to using force. The 2005 law is China’s legislative basis for military action against Taiwan. “If the possibility for peaceful reunification is lost, the people’s armed forces will, with the whole nation, including the people of Taiwan, take all necessary steps to
SECURITY CONCERNS: The Telecom Technology Center ran black-box tests for the Executive Yuan on devices and software from Chinese, US and South Korean firms Network devices from several Chinese manufacturers are insecure and allow personal information to be leaked, testing commissioned by the Executive Yuan has shown. A variety of devices and software, including apps, from Chinese, US and South Korean manufacturers that are used by government agencies at the central and local level were subjected to black-box testing — in which the functionality of an application is examined without knowing about its internal structure, an information-security official said yesterday on condition of anonymity. The Telecom Technology Center conducted the tests, which simulated cyberattacks, to determine their resilience to the attacks, the official said. The center
CASH BOOST: Foreign spouses with residency permits are also eligible for the coupons, which can be bought at post offices or linked to digital payment options Stimulus coupons for Taiwanese and foreign spouses with residency permits can be ordered starting on July 1 and can be used from July 15 to Dec. 31, the Executive Yuan said yesterday. Aimed at boosting domestic spending, the coupons worth NT$3,000 (US$100.04) are to cost NT$1,000. “For our consumers, this is a very good deal as they get three times as much value for their money,” Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) told a news conference in Taipei. While the coupons are to have a wide range of uses, including at department stores, restaurants, book stores, night markets, beauty and hair salons, hotels, and to