The battle between China and Japan over the Diaoyutai Islands (釣魚台) may stymie music exchanges across the Taiwan Strait as Chinese authorities have declined to grant visas to three Japanese musicians in the National Symphony Orchestra (NSO), local media reported.
The orchestra is scheduled to launch a “music bold journey” next month that will take it to several major Asian cities, including Shanghai, Wuxi, Beijing and Tokyo, on its first large-scale overseas tour.
The orchestra began preparations for the tour early last month. Performances in Shanghai and Wuxi were approved smoothly, but the event in Beijing hit a snag, reports said.
When Chinese authorities were screening the NSO’s Beijing performance plan, the China-Japan tussle over the Diaoyutais flared up.
Against that backdrop, Beijing authorities told the NSO management that China has indefinitely suspended issuing working and performance visas to Japanese passport holders, the reports said.
Among the 90-plus NSO members, three are Japanese — the assistant principal flutist, principal tuba player and a French horn player, according to NSO chief executive Joyce Chiou (邱瑗).
“It would be very difficult to find replacements if the trio are denied Chinese visas,” Chiou said.
Chiou said the NSO is trying to communicate with Beijing authorities with the hope that they would agree to grant visas to the orchestra’s Japanese members.
In an effort to reach out to the world, NSO music director and conductor Lu Shao-chia (呂紹嘉) has decided to lead the orchestra on overseas performance tours.
The upcoming tour is the orchestra’s first large-scale Northeast Asian performance tour since its inauguration in 1986. The orchestra took part in a music festival in Tokyo in 2008 and an Asian music festival in Guangzhou in 2010. It is planning a similar tour of Europe next year.
The Diaoyutais have been under Japan’s control since 1972, but are also claimed by Taiwan and China.
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
IRRESPONSIBLE ATTITUDES? Some experts say the NHI system does not do enough to educate the public, or pay doctors to talk to patients, about healthy lifestyles While the life expectancy of Taiwanese newborns in 2018 reached 80.69 years, the number of years people spent in poor health hit a record high at 8.41 years, Ministry of Health and Welfare statistics showed on Saturday. Healthy life expectancy is calculated by a person’s life expectancy minus the time they spend in ill health, such as the loss of mobility, disabilities and chronic disease, based on medical records and calculations about the years they live with disabilities. The number of years that Taiwanese spend in poor health is increasing slowly, but steadily, rising by 0.46 years, or five-and-a-half months, between 2012
UPTICK IN NUMBERS: The Taipei deputy mayor said the city has services to assist new immigrants, but has established an office specifically to help those from Hong Kong The Taiwan-Hong Kong Services and Exchanges Office today officially opens, where it is to provide humanitarian assistance to Hong Kongers, after Beijing yesterday passed a controversial national security law for the territory. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) expressed dismay over China’s passage of the law, saying that Beijing has broken its pledge to allow Hong Kong to maintain a high degree of autonomy for at least 50 years following its handover from the UK. “I feel extremely disappointed [about the law’s passage], which means China did not keep its promise to Hong Kong,” Tsai said in Taipei. Beijing’s “broken promise” also
‘BASELESS ACCUSATIONS’: Ker Chien-ming said it was not possible to drop Chen Chu’s nomination, while KMT lawmakers accused their DPP rivals of ‘homicidal behavior’ The Legislative Yuan is to vote on President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) nominations for the Control Yuan on July 17 after Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators regained access to the legislative chamber yesterday after it was occupied by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers for about 19 hours. The Legislative Yuan had been scheduled to meet yesterday morning to discuss its planned extraordinary session, but more than 20 KMT lawmakers on Sunday afternoon broke into the main chamber and occupied the legislative speaker’s podium to protest Tsai’s nomination of former Presidential Office secretary-general Chen Chu (陳菊) to be Control Yuan president. The KMT caucus