Guards at the UN war crimes tribunal removed Ratko Mladic from the courtroom yesterday after the former Bosnian Serb army chief harangued the judge as he read out the charges and entered a not guilty plea on Mladic’s behalf.
Having threatened to boycott his second hearing since being tracked down and extradited from Serbia to The Hague in May, Mladic did in fact appear, but spent several minutes demanding new legal representation and seeking a delay in filing his plea. He also complained of cold after being told not to wear his cap.
Judge Alphons Ourie rejected the request for a postponement, but said the tribunal would check whether the lawyers he wanted, a Serbian and a Russian, would at subsequent hearings be allowed to replace the court-appointed attorney acting for Mladic.
When Ourie moved on to rule that, in the absence of a plea, the court would enter one for Mladic after reading out the charges, the 69-year-old former career soldier shouted: “No, no, no! Don’t read it to me, not a single word.”
As Ourie pressed on, warning Mladic that he would be removed if he interrupted again, he stated the first charge as genocide.
“No, no, I’m not going to listen to this without my lawyer,” Mladic shouted as he removed his translation. “You are no court. Who are you? You’re not allowing me to breathe.”
The judge adjourned the hearing, screening it from public view, before resuming some minutes later with an empty dock to read the remaining charges, formally entering a not guilty plea after each one. There are 11 charges in all.
Mladic is accused over the 43-month siege of the Bosnian capital Sarajevo and the massacre of 8,000 Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica — Europe’s worst massacre since World War II.
He was represented by court--appointed lawyer Aleksandar Aleksic, who asked for the plea hearing to be delayed and for himself to leave if Mladic did not want him there. Mladic has requested that Belgrade-based military lawyer Milos Saljic and Russian jurist Alexander Mezyaev represent him. The court is still verifying their qualifications and eligibility.
Arrested on May 26 after 16 years on the run, Mladic rejected the charges against him as “obnoxious” and “monstrous” when he was formally charged at the war crimes court on June 3.
At the start of the hearing, Orie repeatedly asked Mladic to stop interacting with the public gallery, where families of Srebrenica victims were seated to Mladic’s right.
“I hear better on my left ear,” Mladic replied, suggesting he was only turning his head to the judge to hear him better.
Sitting without the cap he had worn at the first hearing, Mladic, who had said he was “gravely ill,” barked at the judge and complained he was “an old man.”
“I have to wear a cap because I am too old, and I am cold. One side of my body is not functioning,” he said, possibly referring to the after-effects of a stroke. “I want to communicate with you in a humane way. You are trying to impose impossible conditions on me — a lawyer I don’t want.”
Several hundred survivors of the Bosnian war gathered in Sarajevo yesterday to urge the court to not allow Mladic to mock it and to pursue a fair and swift trial.
‘HERO OF THE ERA’: President Tsai Ing-wen expressed deep sadness at Lee’s passing, and told the government to assist his family with all their needs Former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) passed away at 7:24pm yesterday at Taipei Veterans General Hospital. He was 97 years old. The hospital stated the cause of death as septic shock and multiple organ failure. Lee had been hospitalized there since February, when he choked on a mouthful of milk at home. He was later diagnosed with pulmonary infiltrates and aspiration pneumonia. The hospital said that Lee had been treated with antibiotics, but that his health had not improved, as his advanced age and diabetes had inhibited his immune system and led to recurring infections. During his hospitalization, Lee underwent daily kidney dialysis, which removed
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
RECEIVING TREATMENT: President Tsai Ing-wen, Vice President William Lai and Premier Su Tseng-chang visited former president Lee Teng-hui yesterday morning Taipei Veterans General Hospital yesterday rebutted speculation that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had died a day earlier, saying that he was weak, but receiving treatment. The hospital said the 97-year-old Lee was not in good condition and needed ongoing care, adding that if there are any changes in his condition, it would make those public. The comments came after rumors emerged online on Tuesday that Lee had died after being hospitalized since early February. Soon after the unsubstantiated rumors emerged, reporters started flocking to the hospital seeking confirmation. Lee was admitted to Taipei Veterans General Hospital on Feb. 8 after choking while drinking
THAI CASE UPDATE: Twenty-nine close contacts of the worker have been tested with two types of tests, including 18 dorm mates, with 28 negative results so far Five imported cases of COVID-19, four from the Philippines and one from Hong Kong, were reported yesterday, bringing the total confirmed cases in Taiwan to 467, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. The four returning from the Philippines were on the same flight, and the local health department has identified 15 people who had direct contact with them — including 10 passengers in the two rows in front or behind them, who have been put under 14-day home isolation, and five crew members, who will practice 14-day self-health management, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang