The Taipei City Government yesterday said it would build a tennis center by 2014 that complies with international standards.
Taipei Deputy Mayor Lee Yong-ping (李永萍) said the city would use the center to seek more opportunities to host international competitions and cultivate young players.
The plan for the center, which will cost about NT$3.5 billion (US$100 million), shows it would occupy more than 6 hectares and include 17 outdoor courts and a main court with 10,000 seats.
The city’s announcement came one day after former Academia Sinica president and Nobel laureate Lee Yuan-tseh (李遠哲) complained about the lack of venues for top-class tennis tournaments in Taipei.
Lee has been a long-term sponsor of Lu Yen-hsun (盧彥勳), whose career was brought to the spotlight following his win over the world No. 7 Andy Roddick of the US during the fourth round of the Wimbledon men’s singles last week.
In a meeting with Lu on Monday, Lee Yuan-tseh said it was “embarrassing” that Taipei lacked a professional tennis center.
Lee Yong-ping denied her presentation at Taipei City Hall yesterday was in response to Lee Yuan-tseh’s criticism, saying the city was also planning to build world-class basketball courts.
“The city government listed NT$4.5 million last year for the planning of the tennis center. We are not rushing to build a tennis center because of what the former Academia Sinica president said,” she said.
Taipei City’s Sports Office Director Sun Chin-chuan (孫清泉) said the center’s facilities and courts would meet the standards for Level 3 and Level 4 international tournaments.
To host Level 3 international competition, a tennis center should be more than 6 hectares and should include at least 15 tennis courts.
A Level 4 center should occupy at least 4 hectares of land and have more than 12 tennis courts, the office said.
The Taipei City Government has selected three possible locations — Beitou (北投) District’s Guandu, Neihu (內湖) District and Zhongzheng (中正) District.
Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) will finalize the location after meeting with related departments.No timeframe has been given.
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
BRIBERY CASE: President Tsai Ing-wen accepted Su Jia-chyuan’s resignation as he said that he deeply regretted causing trouble for the president due to the investigation Presidential Office Secretary-General Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) yesterday resigned after his nephew, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Su Chen-ching (蘇震清), was implicated in a bribery case related to a dispute over the ownership of Pacific Sogo Department Store (太平洋崇光百貨). “I resigned from the post so that President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) would not be bothered by it anymore, and the prosecutors can investigate the case in a fair and just manner. I thank President Tsai once again for supporting me. May the country continue to prosper under her leadership,” Su Jia-chyuan said in a statement. The Presidential Office said that Tsai has accepted
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
The military last week sent “no small number” of Marine Corps officers to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Island, 東沙群島) following reports of a Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) drill targeting the islands scheduled for this month. In an interview with Hong Kong’s Bauhinia Magazine published on Saturday last week, PLA National Defense University professor Li Daguang (李大光) confirmed that the Chinese army was planning to stage a simulated invasion of the Pratas Islands in the South China Sea this month. The islands comprise three atolls, with Pratas Island, at 1.74km2, being the largest. They lie southwest of Taiwan proper in the South