Nigeria’s president placed security forces on maximum alert after two days of battles that radical Islamists in the north which witnesses said yesterday had left more than 150 dead.
While authorities have so far confirmed only 55 deaths in the states of Bauchi and Yobe, journalists in the capital of a third state said they had seen scores of bodies dumped at the local police headquarters.
“Over 100 dead bodies have been deposited at the premises of the police headquarters and more are still being brought in,” local journalist Ibrahim Bala said from Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state.
Bala said that police were picking up the bodies of slain militants from the streets of the city where a curfew has been imposed.
“Fighting has stopped since last night but bodies are still being taken to the police headquarters in vans and trucks,” he said.
Witnesses said around 200 militant Islamists kept an overnight vigil outside a mosque in the city as well as the home of their spiritual leader Mohammed Yusuf.
In neighboring Yobe state, police said they were combing forests near the town of Potiskum after the militants torched a police station and killed a policeman and a firefighter.
“Our men are now battling these extremists in nearby forests where they fled after we dealt with them here,” a police official who cannot be named because he does not have authority to speak to the media, said.
Truckloads of armed police were seen leaving a police base and heading towards the forests.
“We killed so many of them [yesterday],” another Potiskum policeman said.
The clashes which erupted on Sunday have so far been contained to four northern Muslim states in Africa’s most populous nation.
Churches and government buildings have been torched by groups of militants who have been dubbed Nigeria’s Taliban.
The unrest is the deadliest sectarian violence in Nigeria since last November when human rights groups say up to 700 were killed in and around the city of Jos in Muslim-Christian clashes.
Nigerian President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, himself a Muslim from the north, ordered security forces on maximum alert in a decree issued late on Monday.
The president “ordered national security agencies to take all necessary action to contain and repel the sad and shocking attacks by extremists.”
He also “directed that security be beefed up in all neighboring states and security personnel placed on full alert to ensure that the attacks by misguided elements do not spread elsewhere,” a statement said.
UNFIT TO LEAD? The WHO head blamed Taiwan for attacks on his person and said that the nation’s bid to join had an ‘ulterior political motive,’ a report said WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus should not allow politics to supersede professionalism, Presidential Office spokesman Xavier Chang (張惇涵) said yesterday after it was reported that Tedros had complained about Internet commentary that he was pro-China and unfit to continue in his position. The Chinese-language report by Up Media on Thursday cited a source familiar with Taiwanese foreign affairs as saying that Tedros blamed Taiwan for attacks on his person and that the nation’s bid to join the WHO had an “ulterior political motive.” While Chang said he could not be certain what Tedros had said, regardless of the comments, his allegations were
‘TAIWAN MODEL’: The government aims to determine whether using normal scheduled flights better meets its objectives than the charter flights used previously The Straits Exchange Foundation yesterday announced a third set of flights to evacuate 440 Taiwanese from China’s Hubei Province due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The flights, operated by China Airlines Ltd (中華航空) according to its normal schedule, are on Sunday and Monday next week. They are to depart Shanghai Pudong International Airport at 7:50pm and arrive at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport at 9:50pm, the foundation said. China Airlines is to dispatch two Boeing 777. The aircraft has a capacity of 358 passengers, but each would only carry 220 to ensure a proper distance is maintained between those onboard, it said. Within hours of the foundation
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Thursday stood defiant in the face of a US$15 million bounty issued by the US for him to face drug trafficking charges, calling US President Donald Trump a “racist cowboy,” and warning that he is ready to fight by whatever means necessary should the US and Colombia dare to invade. Maduro’s bellicose remarks came hours after the US announced sweeping indictments against him and several members of his inner circle, for allegedly converting Venezuela into a criminal enterprise at the service of drug traffickers and terrorist groups. One indictment by prosecutors in New York accused Maduro and
The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported 17 new cases of COVID-19, bring the nation’s total number of confirmed cases to 252. Of the new cases, 15 were imported and two were locally transmitted, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said at the center’s daily news conference in Taipei. The 15 imported cases were seven women and eight men in their 20s to 60s who entered Taiwan between Monday last week and Monday this week, said Chen, who also heads the center. Prior to the onset of their illness, they had traveled to the US, the UK, New Zealand, Spain,