China and Hong Kong yesterday both reported their second confirmed cases of swine flu.
In China, a 19-year-old student identified only by the surname Lu reported his symptoms to health authorities by telephone on Monday night while he was aboard a train from Beijing to his home province of Shandong, the Health Ministry said.
Lu, who arrived in Beijing from Canada on Friday aboard Air Canada flight AC029, recorded a temperature of 39˚C, a sore throat and headache.
He was isolated at a hospital in the Shandong provincial capital of Jinan. Test results yesterday morning confirmed Lu’s infection with the H1N1 virus, the ministry said.
In Hong Kong, a 24-year-old man who recently returned from the US was put into an isolation ward in the city’s Princess Margaret Hospital and was confirmed as having the H1N1 virus after his admission, a Department of Health spokesman said.
China’s first confirmed H1N1 patient was recovering in the southwestern province of Sichuan after falling sick following his return from the US via Tokyo and Beijing.
More than 350 passengers who traveled on the same two flights as the 30-year-old man were placed in seven-day quarantine, the ministry said.
Chinese authorities also put 103 guests and employees at a Beijing airport hotel where the swine-flu patient stayed for a few hours on Saturday under quarantine.
At least nine foreigners are among the isolated guests, the China News Service said.
The Civil Aviation Administration of China has begun requiring air travelers to fill in health declarations before boarding domestic flights.
Airports must now check the temperatures of transiting passengers who arrive on international flights, the authority said in a statement.
It was not clear if the government would also strengthen checks on domestic train travelers.
A 24-year-old patient in Hong Kong was being held in isolation in hospital, Thomas Tsang, the controller of the Centre for Health Protection, told reporters.
A further six people who sat near the man on his flight from San Francisco were also being held in quarantine, along with the man’s family members who met him at the airport on Monday evening, Tsang said.
A further 45 people who sat near him on his journey had already left Hong Kong.
“He consulted a clinic at the airport and was taken to hospital. This patient did not enter the city,” Tsang said.
The man was in a stable condition, Tsang said.
Around 300 hotel guests and staff were quarantined for a week beginning May 1 when Hong Kong’s first swine-flu patient was found to have stayed at the Metropark Hotel in the city’s Wanchai district. Officials said they would not take such extreme quarantine measures again.
The World Health Organization (WHO) said yesterday that 33 countries were reporting laboratory confirmed human cases of infection with the new A(H1N1) influenza virus.
The three countries included since Tuesday were Cuba, with one case, and Finland and Thailand, each reporting two cases.
There were 5,728 confirmed cases worldwide and 61 deaths, according to the latest figures posted on the WHO’s Web site yesterday.
Mexico had 2,059 infections, including 56 deaths.
The US has reported 3,009 cases, including three deaths. There was one death in Canada from 358 instances and Costa Rica has reported eight cases, including one death.
There were no deaths from the virus outside of North America, which is also the only region to have confirmed cases of sustained human-to-human transmission of the disease.
In Europe, the hardest hit countries were Spain with 98 cases and Britain, which reported 68.
Also See: CDC to test passengers on flu flight
CAUTION: Taiwanese should be alert, even if they have just liked or shared posts that would breach Beijing’s national security legislation for Hong Kong, the council said Due to the newly implemented Hong Kong national security legislation, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has drawn up a list of what it described as “high-risk groups,” cautioning them not to travel to Hong Kong. People who support independence for Taiwan, Hong Kong, Tibet and Xinjiang; those who are critical of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), the Hong Kong government and the “one country, two systems” concept; and those who donated to or voiced support for the Hong Kong anti-extradition bill movement are urged to refrain from visiting Hong Kong, the council said on its Web site. It released two posts on
HONG KONG SECURITY: The president blasted regulations requiring Taiwanese agents or political organizations to provide information on their Hong Kong-related activities President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday warned of countermeasures should controversial Chinese national security legislation imposed on Hong Kong undermine or harm Taiwanese interests. Article 43 of the legislation empowers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to serve written notices to Taiwanese political organizations or individual agents to furnish information on their Hong Kong-related activities, including their personal particulars, finances, assets, expenditure and capital in the territory. Failure to comply or providing false or incomplete information can result in a fine of HK$100,000 (US$12,903) or imprisonment of six months or two years respectively. Tsai said that Taiwan would keep a close watch on how
MORAL COURAGE: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged the global community to face China’s intention to subdue Taiwan and reject such irrational requests The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday strongly condemned the Chinese government for meddling with US officials’ interactions with Taiwan after FBI Director Christopher Wray revealed China’s efforts to discourage US officials from visiting Taiwan. The greatest long-term threat to the US’ information security and intellectual property, as well as its economic vitality, is China’s counterintelligence and economic espionage operations, Wray told a video event at the Hudson Institute in Washington. Beijing is engaged in a highly sophisticated and maligning foreign influence campaign, with methods that include bribery, blackmail and covert deals, he said. Giving an example, Wray said that when a US official
CAUTION: Taiwan had zero cases of death from food poisoning for six years until last year, when two people died after eating wildlife, an FDA official said The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) yesterday urged the public not to eat wildlife or unidentified wild plants, as they could be fatal, with nearly 7,000 people affected by food poisoning last year, including two deaths due to wildlife consumption. The number of food poisoning incidents increased by nearly 50 percent last year, from 398 cases involving 4,616 people in the previous year to 503 cases involving 6,944 people, FDA data showed. That figure was the second-highest in history, the FDA said, adding that the highest number was recorded in 1997, with 7,235 people. Among the 503 cases, 87 were food poisoning clusters