An extensive search and rescue effort continued yesterday for eight scuba divers missing in waters off Kenting National Park, but none had been found as of press time.
The Coast Guard Administration has been searching for the missing divers since Saturday afternoon.
Yesterday morning six cutters searched eight areas near where the group went missing. Four helicopters from an airborne police unit and six coast guard patrol boats scoured waters near Chihsingyen (Seven Star Rock), a popular diving spot off Kenting National Park.
PHOTO: TSAI TSUNG-HSIEN, TAIPEI TIMES
Coast guard official Hsu Yung-kang (徐永康) told reporters that the search would last at least 72 hours.
The anxious families of the missing divers have been gathered in a small seaport near Kenting since Saturday evening. Yesterday they hired several tourist boats so they could personally join the search along with more than 20 fishing boats that also volunteered.
Hsu said the coast guard was focusing on waters off Taitung County in particular, because the strong current might have carried the missing divers to the northeast.
The seven divers — five men and two women — plus a diving coach were reported missing while scubadiving in waters near Chihsingyen, 22km southwest of Kenting, Pingtung County.
They left for Chihsingyen along with four other people aboard a yacht early on Saturday morning. The 12 began diving in waters between Oluanbi and Chihsingyen at 10:30am and were supposed to return to the yacht at 11:30am.
However, eight of them failed to return to the yacht on schedule. The yacht’s skipper could not locate the missing divers and reported the case to the Hengchun coast guard.
The yacht’s skipper Liu Chung-yu (劉中裕) returned to Kenting in the evening.
He told the officers that he had located the divers near his yacht by the bubbles produced by their exhaled breath but the bubbles suddenly disappeared and the divers did not return.
The coast guard said the eight are all experienced divers.
In an accident in the same area nine years ago, six divers were washed away by strong ocean currents, but four were rescued after 30 hours.
Premier Chang Chun-hsiung (張俊雄) yesterday ordered an all-out effort to find the missing divers.
Government Information Office Minister Shieh Jhy-wey (謝志偉) said that Chang urged rescue workers not to give up.
He also called on the general public to be careful when taking part in outdoor activities, particularly refraining from diving in dangerous waters, Shieh said.
SECRET OUT: Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung yesterday accidentally revealed that the infections occurred at the ministry’s Taoyuan General Hospital The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported the fifth COVID-19 case in a cluster infection at a Taoyuan hospital, where four other medical workers were confirmed to have been infected over the past week. The latest case is a nurse who had tested negative on Tuesday last week, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the CECC, told a news conference. However, on Thursday, she developed symptoms, such as nasal congestion and a cough, and a second test yesterday found that she was infected, Chen said. She is the head nurse of a ward where two
VIGILANCE: While two of the cases are family members of a nurse, there is no sign of community spread and the source of infection is identifiable, the CECC said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported four new domestic COVID-19 cases associated with a cluster infection at a Taoyuan hospital. Since the first case was identified on Tuesday last week, five healthcare workers — two doctors and three nurses — at the Ministry of Health and Welfare’s Taoyuan General Hospital have tested positive for the virus. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that two of the four new cases are the husband and daughter of a nurse (case No. 863) who had earlier been confirmed to have COVID-19. The husband (case No. 864)
PILLARS OF DEMOCRACY: US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft posted online after the virtual meeting that Taiwan should be able to share its successes in global venues President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) and US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft yesterday held a virtual meeting, during which Tsai described Taiwan as a “force for good” that deserves a place on the world stage, while Craft reaffirmed Washington’s support for Taiwan’s international participation. The virtual talk was held at about 11am, after Craft’s trip to Taiwan was abruptly canceled. She had been scheduled to meet with Tsai in person at the Presidential Office in Taipei yesterday morning as part of a three-day visit to Taiwan. On Tuesday, the US Department of State canceled all of its planned trips, citing a need
‘CONTAINED’: The CECC is not considering locking down the hospital where the infections were detected, as their source has been found, Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported one new domestic COVID-19 case, a doctor at a hospital in northern Taiwan where three other medical workers were confirmed to have the disease over the past week. The new case — No. 856 — is a doctor who had treated a COVID-19 patient together with case No. 838, said Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center. Case No. 838, confirmed as a locally infected COVID-19 case on Tuesday, was the first case in the hospital cluster, and later infected his partner, who is a nurse at the same