Russia had a short answer for US President George W. Bush's top national security advisers who came to ask for detente in the simmering argument over a planned US missile shield at Russia's doorstep: "Nyet." Or maybe, "Not yet."
The US and Russia got no closer to settling their public differences over US plans that Russia sees as a potential threat and a turf battle for influence in states once under the Soviet thumb.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said he would take a closer look at US proposals meant to allay Russian fears, but added that the best way to end the disagreement would be to scrap the plan for placing missile interceptors in Poland and a tracking radar system in the Czech Republic.
"We've leaned very far forward in this in an effort to provide reassurance," but the US plans to go ahead, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates said on Tuesday following two days of talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin and other officials.
During a brief greeting witnessed by reporters on Monday, Putin did not mention US plans for the missile shield, a marked contrast from his vehement opposition when he met in October with Gates and US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who returned to explore whether US concessions had softened Putin's stance.
On Monday, Gates gave as an example the US suggestion that Russia be allowed to monitor the activities in Poland and the Czech Republic. He said the Russians initially thought this meant they would be limited to monitoring through their diplomatic presence in the Polish and Czech capitals. Gates said that was clarified to mean the Russians would be permitted a physical -- but likely not continuous -- presence at the missile defense sites, and that the Russians appeared to regard this more favorably.
At first the Polish and Czech governments objected to having Russian monitors on their soil. But Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said on Tuesday that his government would be open to discussing an arrangement.
The US proposed the visit to give a formal framework to numerous issues in which the US and Russia have common or overlapping interests. Gates and Rice carried a document that lays out areas of agreement reached under Putin and Bush.
Russia said yesterday that the US had failed to deliver the document.
"In spite of promises yesterday, written proposals from the American side have not yet been received by us," Foreign Ministry spokesman Mikhail Kamynin said.
Gates and Rice left Moscow yesterday.
Also See: Russia to restart air links with Georgia after 17-month halt
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very