The Dalai Lama threatened yesterday to step down as leader of Tibet's government-in-exile if violence committed by Tibetans in his homeland spirals out of control.
He sharply rejected accusations by China that he orchestrated last week's demonstrations in Tibet -- and the violence that ensued.
"I say to China and the Tibetans -- don't commit violence," he told reporters in the northern Indian hill town of Dharmsala, the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile.
While the situation inside Tibet remains unclear, much of the recent violence appears to have been committed by Tibetans. Worries have grown that Chinese troops trying to reassert control over Lhasa were exacting retribution.
"Whether we like it or not, we have to live together side by side," said the Dalai Lama."We must oppose Chinese policy but not the Chinese. Not on a racist basis."
Though clearly fearful of China's crackdown -- he compared the plight of Tibetans to that of "a young deer in a tiger's hands" -- he also said he was troubled by Tibetan attacks on ethnic Han Chinese.
He said that "if things become out of control," his "only option is to completely resign."
But the Dalai Lama refused to call on the Tibetans inside Tibet to end peaceful protests.
He also denied Chinese accusations he was behind the uprising, suggesting that the Chinese themselves may have had a hand in it to discredit him.
"It's possible some Chinese agents are involved there," he said. "Sometimes totalitarian regimes are very clever, so it is important to investigate."
He said if China had proof they should present it to the world and open up the region to international organizations, adding that Chinese officials were welcome to come to Dharmsala and search his records.
"They can examine my pulse, my urine, my stool, everything," he said.
Tenzin Taklha, a top aide, later said that the Dalai Lama meant he would step down as the political leader -- not as the supreme religious leader of Tibetan Buddhists.
Passengers on domestic flights would not be allowed to board if their temperature is more than 37.5°C or if they refuse to have their temperatures taken, Uni Air (立榮航空) and Mandarin Airlines (華信航空) said yesterday. The two airlines made the announcement after their parent companies — EVA Airways (長榮航空) and China Airlines (CAL, 中華航空) respectively — announced similar pre-boarding requirements on Saturday, along with a requirement that passengers wear masks during their flights, except when they have meals or drinks. Uni Air and Mandarin Airlines said domestic passengers would be required to wear masks from the time they start using self-help
CASE COUNT RISES: One of the new domestic cases is a nurse at a long-term care center, but so far tests on all the residents and other staff have been negative Flight transits through all Taiwanese airports would be banned for two weeks, starting tomorrow, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday as it announced 16 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the nation’s total to 169. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), head of the center, said all flight transits would be banned through April 7. In light of the rapidly increasing number of imported COVID-19 cases, there was a need to further reduce cross-border travel and the risk of disease transmission, the center said. The Civil Aeronautics Administration has informed airlines about the new measures, and anyone who has
A public health expert yesterday warned that too many people are meeting in small groups in coffee shops and restaurants without keeping a proper distance from one another, as he urged the government to loosen the criteria for testing young Taiwanese returning from abroad for COVID-19. People need to keep a social distance of at least 2m, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health dean Chan Chang-chuan (詹長權) said as the college presented its seventh weekly report on COVID-19 at a morning news conference. More than 300,000 confirmed cases of the virus have been reported in more than three-quarters of all
TWEET CONFIRMED: The US’ Morgan Ortagus backed up Taiwan, saying China only admitted that human-to-human transmission was possible as late as Jan. 20 Taiwan warned the WHO and China about possible human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus at the end of last year, but the global health body did not make it public, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. Department of International Organizations Director-General Bob Chen (陳龍錦) made the remark at a news briefing in Taipei, when asked about statements made by US Department of State spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus. “Dec. 31— that’s the same day Taiwan first tried to warn WHO of human-human transmission. Chinese authorities meanwhile silenced doctors and refused to admit human-human transmission until Jan. 20, with catastrophic consequences,” Ortagus wrote on