One by one, the squares on the chessboard filled up with numbers -- each commemorating a murder.
Alexander Pichushkin allegedly killed most of his victims in a Moscow park, smashing their skulls with a hammer or throwing them into sewage pits after getting them drunk. He boasted he had nearly reached the last square, No. 64, by the time police captured him last year.
"For me, a life without murder is like a life without food for you," he told investigators in a nationally televised confession. "I felt like the father of all these people, since it was I who opened the door for them to another world."
Pichushkin, 33, looked calm and aloof on Monday as he sat in the defendant's cage of the Moscow City Court during a preliminary hearing in which a judge accepted his request for a jury trial and ruled it would start on Sept. 13.
After his arrest in June last year, Pichushkin claimed he had killed more than 60 people over several years, but prosecutors said they only had evidence to charge him with 49 murders carried out in Moscow's Bittsa Park between 2005 and last year.
At the cramped apartment where he shared a bedroom with his mother, police found his chessboard with numbers attached to its squares -- all the way up to 62.
Most of the victims were men, many of them homeless, whom Pichushkin had allegedly lured to the park with a promise of vodka. To some, he proposed a toast in memory of the dog he walked in the park and buried there when it died, investigators say.
Pichushkin allegedly rammed sticks or vodka bottles into the shattered skulls of some of his victims. More than 40 were purportedly killed by being tossed into a sewage pit.
As the killings grew more frequent in 2005 and panic spread among the public, hundreds of police were sent to sweep Bittsa Park for suspects.
At one point last year, police thought they had a break in the case. Officers shot and arrested a man who had brandished a knife as he tried to flee a police patrol. To show they were one the wrong track, Pichushkin killed two more victims within a week, he told investigators.
Pichushkin said police in the area repeatedly stopped him for identity checks but let him go.
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very