The US command in Baghdad is seeking bidders for a two-year, US$20 million public relations contract for monitoring the tone of news stories about the Iraq war filed by US and foreign media.
Proposals, due on Wednesday, ask companies to show how they would "provide continuous monitoring and near-real time reporting of Iraqi, pan-Arabic, international and US media," according to the solicitation issued last week.
Contractors also will be evaluated on how they would provide analytical reports and customized briefings to the military, "including, but not limited to, tone [positive, neutral, negative] and scope of media coverage."
The winner of the contract probably also would be required to develop an Arabic version of the multinational force's Web site.
Attempts by reporters to contact officials connected to the project by telephone and e-mail were not successful on Thursday night.
The program comes during what has appeared to be a White House effort, before the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, to take the offensive against critics as polls show withering support for the Bush administration's Iraq policy.
US President George W. Bush addressed the American Legion's national convention in Salt Lake City on the issue on Thursday, stressing that a US pullout from Iraq would lead to its conquest by the US' worst enemies.
He continued a theme that was set by both US Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice when they spoke to the administration-friendly group earlier in the week.
The military last year was criticized for a public relations scheme in Iraq that included hiring a consulting firm that paid Iraqi news media to carry news stories written by US troops.
Pentagon officials have defended the program as a necessary tool in Bush's campaign against terror. But critics have said it contradicts US values of freedom of the press.
also see story:
Bush sees dark future if US quits Iraq
Iraqis fear backlash from wave of new attacks on Shiites
Americans more dubious about Bush's `war on terror'
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
IRRESPONSIBLE ATTITUDES? Some experts say the NHI system does not do enough to educate the public, or pay doctors to talk to patients, about healthy lifestyles While the life expectancy of Taiwanese newborns in 2018 reached 80.69 years, the number of years people spent in poor health hit a record high at 8.41 years, Ministry of Health and Welfare statistics showed on Saturday. Healthy life expectancy is calculated by a person’s life expectancy minus the time they spend in ill health, such as the loss of mobility, disabilities and chronic disease, based on medical records and calculations about the years they live with disabilities. The number of years that Taiwanese spend in poor health is increasing slowly, but steadily, rising by 0.46 years, or five-and-a-half months, between 2012
UPTICK IN NUMBERS: The Taipei deputy mayor said the city has services to assist new immigrants, but has established an office specifically to help those from Hong Kong The Taiwan-Hong Kong Services and Exchanges Office today officially opens, where it is to provide humanitarian assistance to Hong Kongers, after Beijing yesterday passed a controversial national security law for the territory. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) expressed dismay over China’s passage of the law, saying that Beijing has broken its pledge to allow Hong Kong to maintain a high degree of autonomy for at least 50 years following its handover from the UK. “I feel extremely disappointed [about the law’s passage], which means China did not keep its promise to Hong Kong,” Tsai said in Taipei. Beijing’s “broken promise” also
‘BASELESS ACCUSATIONS’: Ker Chien-ming said it was not possible to drop Chen Chu’s nomination, while KMT lawmakers accused their DPP rivals of ‘homicidal behavior’ The Legislative Yuan is to vote on President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) nominations for the Control Yuan on July 17 after Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators regained access to the legislative chamber yesterday after it was occupied by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers for about 19 hours. The Legislative Yuan had been scheduled to meet yesterday morning to discuss its planned extraordinary session, but more than 20 KMT lawmakers on Sunday afternoon broke into the main chamber and occupied the legislative speaker’s podium to protest Tsai’s nomination of former Presidential Office secretary-general Chen Chu (陳菊) to be Control Yuan president. The KMT caucus