Officials yesterday condemned a Chinese military official's remarks that China was prepared to use nuclear weapons against the US if Washington attacked his country in a military conflict over Taiwan.
According to the Financial Times, Zhu Chenghu (
Zhu had made the remarks during a reception for foreign journalists organized in part by the Chinese government, the newspaper reported.
A Mainland Affairs Council official responded strongly to Zhu's remarks yesterday.
"We severely condemn Zhu's statement," said Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) Vice Chairman You Ying-lung (
Zhu's statements, which seem to confirm some Taiwanese officials' worst suspicions about the PLA's hawkish leanings, are outside acceptable bounds of rhetoric in the international community, You said.
"After the two atomic bombs were dropped at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the international community doesn't want to see the re-emergence of nuclear catastrophe in the world," You said.
"Zhu's statement is a serious challenge to civilized society," he said.
Ministry of National Defense Spokesman Liou Chih-chien (劉志堅) also responded to the PLA official's comments, saying "the use of nuclear weapons is something that the international community will condemn."
Since its first atomic test in 1964, China's official doctrine has called for no first use of nuclear weapons.
But Zhu is not the first Chinese official to have referred to the possibility of using nuclear weapons in a military conflict over Taiwan.
Xiong Guangkai (熊光楷), now the PLA's deputy chief of general staff, once threatened to use nuclear weapons against the city of Los Angeles.
"Americans care more about Los Angeles than they do about Taiwan," Xiong told former US assistant defense secretary Chas Freeman in 1996 as a reminder that China's intercontinental missile force could target the US for siding with Taiwan in a cross-strait conflict.
While Zhu made his statement at an official briefing, he said that he was only expressing his own views, not that of the Chinese government, and added that he did not anticipate a conflict with Washington.
The Financial Times, however, described his threat to use nuclear weapons in a conflict over Taiwan as "the most specific by a senior Chinese official in nearly a decade."
You said the remarks were highly inappropriate, at the very least.
"It's doubtful that Zhu's statement represents his government's position," You said.
"If Zhu made his statement on behalf of the government, it was very serious. But if what he said was just his personal opinion, it was also inappropriate," You said.
HEATED TRAFFIC: As Beijing holds naval drills near Taiwan, the Ministry of National Defense said it had a full grasp of the situation and would handle it ‘appropriately’ A Chinese carrier group exercising near Taiwan is part of what are to be regular drills, the Chinese navy said in a statement late on Monday, further escalating tensions between Taipei and Beijing. The group, including the aircraft carrier Liaoning, was conducting “routine” drills in the waters around Taiwan, a move to “enhance its capability to safeguard national sovereignty, safety and development interests,” the statement said. “Similar exercises will be conducted regularly,” it said, without elaborating. The statement came after the Ministry of National Defense earlier on Monday issued a statement regarding a rise in the number of incursions by Chinese jets into
AIMED AT TAIWAN? Institute for National Defense and Security Research research fellow Ou Si-fu said chips can be ‘bought off the shelf’ and then used in weapons The Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) yesterday said that chips from Taiwanese semiconductor companies were not making their way into Chinese missiles “to the best of our knowledge.” A report in yesterday’s Washington Post alleged that a Chinese company named Phytium Technology Co (飛騰) used chips made by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), along with US software, in advanced Chinese military systems. “TSMC has long placed strict controls on their chips. The export of high-tech products from Taiwan is also highly regulated,” Minister of Economic Affairs Wang Mei-hua (王美花) said. “According to our understanding, none of the end uses for those products
NO TIME: The driver tried to apply the brakes when he saw the truck, but the train did not have time to come to a full stop, an investigation report said The crane truck that caused last week’s fatal train accident had slid onto the tracks about one-and-a-half minutes before it was struck, the Taiwan Transportation Safety Board said yesterday. The board had launched an investigation into the derailment, which killed 50 people and injured 211 people, making it the nation’s most devastating railway accident in decades. Carrying 494 passengers and four Taiwan Railways Administration personnel, the southbound express train to Taitung hit the truck as it was about to enter the Cingshuei Tunnel (清水隧道) in Hualien’s Sioulin Township (秀林). The train derailed following the collision, with the left side of the eighth
TAROKO INCIDENT: The committee would regulate how public donations for victims of Friday’s train accident, which have exceeded NT$60 million, would be used The government has collected about NT$60 million (US$2.1 million) in donations through Line Pay and convenience stores for victims of last week’s fatal train accident and plans to establish an oversight committee to determine how the funds should be used to help them, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The accident occurred at 9:28am on Friday, when a southbound Taroko Express train traveling from New Taipei City to Taitung hit a crane truck that had slid down a hill from a nearby construction site onto the rails as the train was about to enter the Cingshuei Tunnel