Some 2,000 people will return to Fallujah today and find a ghost town of rubble after six weeks of fighting between the US military and insurgents.
The first wave of displaced persons to make their way home after fleeing the city of 300,000 people on the advent of the US assault on the insurgent stronghold will enter an apocalyptic backdrop of flattened city blocks and bullet-scarred homes.
The flow of residents, who stayed with relatives, squatted in schools and shivered in camps during the devastation of the last two months, marks a stab by the Iraqi government to restore normality in troubled al-Anbar province.
"Tomorrow 2,000 heads of families will enter Fallujah, all of them from al-Andalus neighborhood, to check out their houses to decide on their own whether they want to return," National Security Adviser Qassem Daoud told reporters Wednesday.
People will inspect their homes in southwest Fallujah and decide whether they want to stay in the city, which is still the scene of fighting between US forces and insurgents, Daoud said.
"The clashes from time to time are going on, but that doesn't mean there is a huge amount of resistance. It is just people coming in from neighboring areas to carry out some attacks," he said.
Daoud highlighted the amount of damage in Fallujah. "There are some destroyed houses and some wreckage, with mines and explosives inside and even on the streets," Daoud said.
The International Committee of the Red Cross said Wednesday that three of the city's water purification plants had been destroyed and the fourth was badly damaged.
The Iraqi government announced Monday that returning families would receive immediate assistance of 150,000 dinars (US$100) and be eligible for compensation of up to US$10,000 for property damage.
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers have declared they survived recall votes to remove them from office today, although official results are still pending as the vote counting continues. Although final tallies from the Central Election Commission (CEC) are still pending, preliminary results indicate that the recall campaigns against all seven KMT lawmakers have fallen short. As of 6:10 pm, Taichung Legislators Yen Kuan-heng (顏寬恒) and Yang Chiung-ying (楊瓊瓔), Hsinchu County Legislator Lin Szu-ming (林思銘), Nantou County Legislator Ma Wen-chun (馬文君) and New Taipei City Legislator Lo Ming-tsai (羅明才) had all announced they
Nvidia Corp CEO Jensen Huang (黃仁勳) yesterday visited Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), as the chipmaker prepares for volume production of Nvidia’s next-generation artificial intelligence (AI) chips. It was Huang’s third trip to Taiwan this year, indicating that Nvidia’s supply chain is deeply connected to Taiwan. Its partners also include packager Siliconware Precision Industries Co (矽品精密) and server makers Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海精密) and Quanta Computer Inc (廣達). “My main purpose is to visit TSMC,” Huang said yesterday. “As you know, we have next-generation architecture called Rubin. Rubin is very advanced. We have now taped out six brand new
POWER PLANT POLL: The TPP said the number of ‘yes’ votes showed that the energy policy should be corrected, and the KMT said the result was a win for the people’s voice The government does not rule out advanced nuclear energy generation if it meets the government’s three prerequisites, President William Lai (賴清德) said last night after the number of votes in favor of restarting a nuclear power plant outnumbered the “no” votes in a referendum yesterday. The referendum failed to pass, despite getting more “yes” votes, as the Referendum Act (公民投票法) states that the vote would only pass if the votes in favor account for more than one-fourth of the total number of eligible voters and outnumber the opposing votes. Yesterday’s referendum question was: “Do you agree that the Ma-anshan Nuclear Power Plant