Two British men who spent more than a year retracing the rugged route of the 1930s "Long March" by Mao Zedong's (毛澤東) communist guerrillas said yesterday it turned out to be about one-third shorter than reported by Communist Party propaganda. \nEd Jocelyn and Andy McEwan said their findings showed the trek -- a major event in the formative years of the party that took power in 1949 -- to be some 6,000km. \nHistory books often say the Long March covered 10,000km. Some say it was as long as 13,000km. \n"Some will get upset at what they see as an attack on a central myth of the revolution. The Long March is the founding myth of the party," McEwan said by mobile telephone from near Yanan, where Mao's forces settled in western China following the march. \nJocelyn, 35, and McEwan, 37, said they had worked in Beijing as editors for English-language publications by the city government. Their background is not in geography or history. \nBetween 1934 and 1935, fleeing the forces of Chinese Nationalist Party leader Chiang Kai-shek (蔣介石), Mao and his Red Army followers walked through some of China's poorest, most remote areas, from Jiangxi Province in the southeast to Shanxi in the north. \nJocelyn and McEwan completed their journey on Monday. They based their estimate of its length on timed walks, maps and distance markers along the way. \nMcEwan said the men were "astonished" by the relative freedom the enjoyed during the trek. Many of the areas they passed through were closed to outsiders after the 1949 revolution. \nHowever, he said the pair were detained four times by suspicious local authorities, and once held overnight and bused out of the area the next day. Hardships also included sickness, dog bites and harsh weather. \nBut McEwan said people along the way were welcoming and excited about the project, often correcting their route and pointing out trails taken by the communists. \nJocelyn said the pair hope to exhibit photographs and other documentation collected during their trip, in part to remind younger generations of Chinese of their history. \n"It was still a remarkable achievement in endurance and courage. The fact that it's shorter than originally believed doesn't diminish that in any way," Jocelyn said. \nThe pair also said they met a woman during their 384-day walk who they claimed might have been a long-lost daughter of Mao, the communist founder who died in 1976. \nThe woman, 68-year-old Xiong Huazhi, was born at about the same time and place as a daughter reportedly born to Mao and his third wife, He Zizhen, McEwan said. \nMao's child was left with a family in Sichuan Province as the Red Army fled attacks by Chiang. Xiong's family and neighbors told Jocelyn and McEwan that she was Mao's daughter, although no genetic link or other hard evidence has been provided.
SECRET OUT: Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung yesterday accidentally revealed that the infections occurred at the ministry’s Taoyuan General Hospital The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported the fifth COVID-19 case in a cluster infection at a Taoyuan hospital, where four other medical workers were confirmed to have been infected over the past week. The latest case is a nurse who had tested negative on Tuesday last week, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the CECC, told a news conference. However, on Thursday, she developed symptoms, such as nasal congestion and a cough, and a second test yesterday found that she was infected, Chen said. She is the head nurse of a ward where two
VIGILANCE: While two of the cases are family members of a nurse, there is no sign of community spread and the source of infection is identifiable, the CECC said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported four new domestic COVID-19 cases associated with a cluster infection at a Taoyuan hospital. Since the first case was identified on Tuesday last week, five healthcare workers — two doctors and three nurses — at the Ministry of Health and Welfare’s Taoyuan General Hospital have tested positive for the virus. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that two of the four new cases are the husband and daughter of a nurse (case No. 863) who had earlier been confirmed to have COVID-19. The husband (case No. 864)
PILLARS OF DEMOCRACY: US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft posted online after the virtual meeting that Taiwan should be able to share its successes in global venues President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) and US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft yesterday held a virtual meeting, during which Tsai described Taiwan as a “force for good” that deserves a place on the world stage, while Craft reaffirmed Washington’s support for Taiwan’s international participation. The virtual talk was held at about 11am, after Craft’s trip to Taiwan was abruptly canceled. She had been scheduled to meet with Tsai in person at the Presidential Office in Taipei yesterday morning as part of a three-day visit to Taiwan. On Tuesday, the US Department of State canceled all of its planned trips, citing a need
‘CONTAINED’: The CECC is not considering locking down the hospital where the infections were detected, as their source has been found, Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported one new domestic COVID-19 case, a doctor at a hospital in northern Taiwan where three other medical workers were confirmed to have the disease over the past week. The new case — No. 856 — is a doctor who had treated a COVID-19 patient together with case No. 838, said Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center. Case No. 838, confirmed as a locally infected COVID-19 case on Tuesday, was the first case in the hospital cluster, and later infected his partner, who is a nurse at the same