A Palestinian gunman fired into a home in this isolated Israeli settlement during Jewish New Year's festivities, killing a man and a baby girl in the first deadly attack since Israel's security Cabinet decided earlier this month to remove Yasser Arafat.
There was no claim of responsibility for the shooting rampage in Negahot late on Friday, but Israeli government officials blamed Ara-fat's Palestinian Authority for not stopping such violence.
The officials refused to say whether Israel would now speed up efforts to expel Arafat. Israel has not said when it would take action against the Palestinian leader, but it is believed the trigger could be a major Palestinian terror attack with many Israeli casualties.
"We have information that the Palestinian Authority has not been doing anything in the last few days to deter these terrorist organizations from carrying out their atrocities during the religious holidays," said Avi Pazner, an Israeli government spokesman.
Palestinian officials said leaders of Arafat's Fatah party would meet as planned yesterday to approve a new Cabinet for the incoming Palestinian prime minister, Ahmed Qureia.
The Palestinian armed with an M-16 broke into the isolated settlement of Negahot at around 9pm on Friday, said Captain Jacob Dallal, an Israeli army spokesman. The attacker knocked on the door of one of the houses and shot a 30-year-old guest who answered and the 7-month-old girl.
Soldiers guarding Negahot, near the West Bank city of Hebron, killed the attacker before he could escape, Dallal said.
The girl's parents were lightly injured in the shooting, he said.
"It's no coincidence that this attack was planned for this hour, the night of the Jewish New Year," Dallal said. "Clearly the people behind the attack knew they could find families at home during the holiday dinner."
Several attacks have been carried out during Jewish holidays in the past three years, most notably the March 27 suicide bombing last year at the Park Hotel in the northern coastal town of Netanya, which killed 29 people as they participated in the ritual Passover meal.
In an effort to prevent a repeat of such incidents, Israel stepped up security during the two-day New Year's holiday that ends at sundown today. Palestinians were banned from entering Israel and under a tightened travel ban in most of the West Bank, Palestinians were barred from leaving their communities. Thousands of police officers were also sent to guard synagogues, parks and intersections in Israel.
On Friday, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said he was determined to "remove" Arafat one day, even at the risk of harming him.
"You have to keep in mind that it is very difficult to ensure that he [Arafat] won't be harmed if we seize him," Sharon told the Israeli daily Yediot Ahronot.
The fate of Arafat, who is holed up in the West Bank city of Ramallah, was thrown into question Sept. 11, when Israel's security cabinet called for his removal.
Sharon said the security cabinet's decision canceled his personal promise to US President George W. Bush -- made several years ago -- not to harm the Palestinian leader physically.
Other top Israeli officials have said the term "removal" could mean both expulsion and assassination, but Sharon's remarks seemed to suggest the first choice is to oust Arafat.
Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat said Sharon's comments proved Israel was trying to kill Arafat and was not committed to implementing the US-backed "road map" peace plan, which envisions the creation of a Palestinian state by 2005.
Also See Story:
Stop the killing, Quartet urges
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying