China's lifting of blocks on the Web sites of several foreign news organizations for a weekend Asia-Pacific summit attended by US President George W. Bush proved temporary. They were back in place yesterday.
China quietly lifted blocks on the Web sites of CNN, the BBC and Reuters for meetings of the 21-member APEC organization in Shanghai, which culminated in the weekend summit.
Within hours of Bush flying home after the close of the biggest international gathering in China's Communist history, the Web sites were once again accessible only through third-party servers located abroad and known as proxies.
China's Ministry of State Security -- widely thought to be partly responsible for blocking Web sites -- was not available for comment. The Internet Security Department of the Beijing Public Security Bureau declined comment.
"It's classic that they put the blocks back on literally when Bush cleared customs to leave," said Duncan Clark, managing director of Beijing-based telecoms company BDA China Ltd.
"Part of it is the Big Brother mentality, but I think it is largely symbolic as you can still see the information through proxies," he said. "It is a constant cycle of crackdown and relaxation here, but lifting censorship is probably the last thing the Communists would do before turning their lights out."
The block on Web sites run by Western news organizations is not a blanket block. Sites such as Yahoo.com and the Web site of the International Herald Tribune have not been blocked. Reuters news is widely available on both.
The New York Times site was unblocked several weeks ago, again with no public explanation.
China, which guides its main domestic media with a heavy hand, did not unblock politically sensitive sites during APEC.
Those promoting the banned Falun Gong spiritual movement, including Clearwisdom.net, remained blocked throughout.
Similarly, media control during the summit was tight, with Chinese viewers only able to watch a delayed and heavily edited version of President Jiang Zemin's (江澤民) news conference with Bush after their first meeting on Friday.
Not even foreign networks carried live coverage of the news conference due to a dispute with state broadcaster China Central Television, which asked for a hefty US$8,000 fee to transmit live footage of Bush and Jiang.
‘DEMOCRATIC FISH’: Soichiro Hayashi said he wants to return Taiwan’s kindness after it helped with relief efforts after the March 11, 2011, earthquake and tsunami Japanese fish farmers are ready to help Taiwan after China banned Taiwanese grouper imports, the Sankei Shimbun reported yesterday. The Chinese General Administration of Customs suspended imports of the fish on Monday last week, citing prohibited chemicals and excessive levels of oxytetracycline allegedly found in grouper imports since December last year. Soichiro Hayashi, president of the Hayashi Trout Farm in Japan’s Fukushima Prefecture, is leading the push for Taiwanese grouper imports, the newspaper said. His call has caught the attention of several large sushi chains, the report said. Hayashi, who is the Fukushima branch head of the Friends of Lee Teng-hui Association in Japan,
‘TROJAN HORSE’ SCHEME: The comment that a bridge would allow China’s PLA to easily launch an attack shows ‘a lack of backbone,’ Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je said Critics accused Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) of being oblivious to national security concerns after he proposed constructing a bridge to link Kinmen and China’s Xiamen (廈門). Ko, who is also the Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) chairman, made the proposal when presiding over the opening ceremony of the party’s office in Kinmen on Saturday. He said the bridge could solve Kinmen’s population, electricity and garbage problems, as well as serve as a shortcut for leaving or entering Taiwan without traveling via Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport). He also proposed building a hospital in Kinmen to attract people who are seeking medical treatment in
OVER THE HUMP: In a seven-day period ending on Wednesday, the nation reported 366,628 new cases, down 19 percent from the 451,358 reported in the previous week The nation might further open up to more arrivals in the next two months, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported 48,283 new local COVID-19 cases, down from more than 50,000 in the previous few days. Taiwan on Wednesday last week introduced a plan to allow up to 25,000 arrivals per week as part of efforts to gradually reopen borders, which includes reducing mandatory quarantines for inbound travelers from seven to three days, followed by four days in “self-initiated epidemic prevention.” The quota covers inbound Taiwanese arrivals, businesspeople and migrant workers. Former vice president Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) yesterday said
CECC UPDATE: Officials said the definition of a confirmed COVID-19 case has been revised to include those who are positive in a PCR home test confirmed by a doctor The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said that it would probably list monkeypox as a category 2 notifiable communicable disease today or tomorrow. The WHO is to convene an emergency committee meeting today in accordance with the International Health Regulations to discuss whether the spread of monkeypox to 39 countries, including 32 non-endemic countries, constitutes a public health emergency of international concern. On Tuesday, the Singaporean Ministry of Health confirmed its first imported case of monkeypox, which is also the first case reported in Southeast Asia. South Korea yesterday reported its first confirmed case of monkeypox — a South Korean national who