The idea that China would scrap its “Anti-Secession” Law out of consideration for the Taiwanese public is just a pipe dream, an academic attending a cross-strait forum said yesterday after the government said China should scrap the law.
“They are either naive or have a low IQ,” said Wang Szu-wei (王思為), a professor at Nanhua University’s department of non-profit organization management. “If [Beijing] had taken into consideration the feelings of the Taiwanese people in the first place, it would never have made the law.”
Wang made the remarks at a forum on “China’s ‘Anti-Secession’ Law and the Development of Cross-Strait Relations” when asked for comment on a Presidential Office statement yesterday marking the law’s fourth anniversary.
The Presidential Office said the “Anti-Secession” Law was “unnecessary” because the cross-strait detente was a reciprocal process in which both sides must show goodwill.
Wang said it was “ridiculous” for a government to make such a remark because a responsible administration should use its leverage to make demands rather than hoping Beijing will show some goodwill.
The statement was “politically incorrect” and “showy diplomatic language aimed at placating the public on a special occasion,” Wang said.
President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) was a vocal critic of the law during his terms as Taipei mayor and during his campaign for the presidency. By comparison, he has been quiet on the issue since taking office in May, critics said.
Wang Kun-yi (王崑義), a professor at National Taiwan Ocean University, said the Presidential Office’s statement was as useless as “a dog barking at a train.”
Wang Kun-yi said that while Beijing had never strayed from its goal of unification, it had adjusted its strategy, adopting a softer approach.
A recent example was Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao’s (溫家寶) wish to visit Taiwan, Wang Kun-yi said.
Wen said on Friday that he would like to visit Taiwan someday, even if old age meant he could not walk and had to crawl.
Another example was a reported invitation to former vice president Annette Lu (呂秀蓮) to visit China, Wang Kun-yi said. While Beijing previously invited only politicians who accepted “one China,” it now welcomes anyone who supports peaceful development in the Strait to visit in any capacity, he said.
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) might be the most reluctant to see Lu visit China because Beijing has always insisted on the “one China” principle in dealing with KMT figures, he said.
The incident also highlighted the power struggle within China, he said, adding that many politicians hoped to score political points by making Lu’s trip possible.
George Liu (劉志聰), a researcher at Nanhua University’s Center for Peace and Strategic Studies, said the government’s foreign policy depended entirely on Beijing’s goodwill to gain observer status at the World Health Assembly this year.
“If [Beijing] is happy with Ma’s performance, it might let us in, but if he makes [China] unhappy next year, it will make us suffer,” he said.
Liu blamed the communication platform between the KMT and the Chinese Communist Party for bringing about the “Anti-Secession” Law.
Liu said Beijing’s goal was to eliminate support for independence and advance its unification agenda. The KMT on the other had, would do whatever it takes to stay in power, for which it will require China’s assistance, he said.
Later last night, a rally was staged in front of the Presidential Office to protest the “Anti-Secession” Law and the Ma administration’s policies, which the protesters slammed as skewed toward China.
Around 1,000 people participated in the rally organized by the Taiwan National Congress, an alliance of more than 20 local and international groups supporting independence.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY RICH CHANG AND CNA
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not