Futures broker Lannie Cohen is betting crude oil will tumble the day any US attack on Iraq begins, because it happened that way last time.
Cohen is a technical trader, meaning he charts past price movements to assess the likely direction of the market. He and other technicians downplay analysts and economists who say the world's oil producers can't pump enough to cover shortages should war disrupt supplies from Iraq or its neighbors in the Persian Gulf, source of a quarter of the world's oil.
Speculators' short positions in crude oil on the New York Mercantile Exchange have more than doubled in the past three months, to the highest in the 20-year history of the contract, according to Commodity Futures Trading Commission data. A short position is a bet that crude oil will fall.
"We have been moving steadily up on war fears. Once we invade, look out," said Cohen, president of Capitol Commodity Services Inc in Indianapolis. "All you have to do is look at the historicals."
New York crude oil plunged 40 percent in the first two trading sessions after a US-led coalition began bombing Iraqi forces on Jan. 17, 1991. The price touched a record US$41.15 a barrel on Oct. 11, 1990, as troops massed in the Persian Gulf.
This time, preparations for war have helped oil prices gain 54 percent from a year ago. New York oil rose as high as US$39.99 last month. The US and UK have moved nearly a quarter-million troops to the region.
"We won't have a precipitous drop like we did in 1991 because inventories are so much lower now," said Andrew Lebow, an energy broker at Man Financial Inc. in New York. "Things are way too tight."
US oil inventories are 17 percent lower than they were in January 1991, and demand is 13 percent higher, according to government and industry figures. A strike that began in December in Venezuela halted most exports from the world's fifth-largest source of petroleum, accounting for some drop in stockpiles.
Commercial supplies of crude in the US last week fell to 269.8 million barrels, matching a 28-year low, according to Energy Department figures. At the outset of Desert Storm, there were 326.8 million barrels in storage.
Most of the world's oil producers are pumping at full capacity. They have just 900,000 barrels per day of spare production capacity, less than the 2.5 million barrels of Iraqi supplies that could be knocked off world markets by a war, the International Energy Agency said in a report this week.
By the time missiles starting exploding over Baghdad in 1991, oil prices had already retreated 22 percent from the record. Saudi Arabia, the world's biggest crude producer, and other OPEC members had increased output in the months after Saddam Hussein's August 1990 invasion of Kuwait provoked a UN embargo on Iraqi oil exports.
Analysts also doubt US-led forces can repeat the quick success of the Gulf War. A full-scale invasion of Iraq might take longer than the four days it took for US-led troops to push Hussein's army out of Kuwait.
"We had a tremendous dropoff in prices when success became evident" in 1991, said Marshall Steeves, an energy analyst at Refco Group Ltd. "We won't see that again."
Steeves predicts oil at US$50 a barrel if OPEC and other producers fail to cover lost Iraqi supplies.
On the first day of the war in 1991, US and European governments tapped emergency reserves. That boosted already ample global supplies, assuaging fears that refiners might have difficulty acquiring cargoes, said Michael Fitzpatrick, an energy specialist at Fimat USA Inc.
US Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham has pledged to tap reserves again to cover any significant supply disruption. The US and 25 other countries hold 4 billion barrels of emergency supplies.
Still, traders worry Hussein may destroy wells in Iraq and neighboring countries, crippling supplies for years.
NEW MARKET: The partnership opens up India to the Dutch company, which already has a strong hold in the semiconductor market of South Korea, Taiwan and China ASML Holding NV entered into a partnership agreement with Tata Electronics Pvt Ltd aimed at ramping up India’s goal to develop domestic chip-manufacturing capabilities. The Dutch company’s technology would help power Tata Electronics’ planned 300 millimeter (mm) semiconductor foundry in Gujarat, according to a joint statement from the two companies on Saturday. The signing of a memorandum of understanding coincides with a visit by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the Netherlands, which is looking to deepen bilateral relations with New Delhi. ASML, whose top customers include Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (台積電) and Samsung Electronics Co, makes lithography machines that can print
PORTFOLIO REBALANCING: The adjustments in three global equity indices reflect rising investor appetite for semiconductor and artificial intelligence-related stocks Taiwan’s weighting in major global equity indices compiled by MSCI Inc is to rise modestly following the latest quarterly review, underscoring the market’s expanding role in emerging-market portfolios, as global investors continue to favor the nation’s technology sector. Taiwan’s weighting in the MSCI Emerging Markets Index is to increase by 0.30 percentage points to 23.76 percent, after the changes take effect at the close of the May 29 session. Its weighting in the MSCI All-Country Asia ex-Japan Index is to rise 0.37 percentage points to 27.16 percent, while that in the MSCI All Country World Index is to edge up slightly to
The Hsinchu County Government’s Labor Affairs Department yesterday said that it has received a plan from cosmetics brand Taiwan Shiseido Co (台灣資生堂) detailing mass layoffs at its plant in Hukou Township (湖口). While the labor authorities did not disclose the number of employees to be laid off, Japanese news media earlier in the day reported that the closure of the company’s factory in Hukou would result in 170 employees losing their jobs. Shiseido followed the law by reporting its layoff plan, the department said, adding that authorities would closely monitor negotiations between the management and affected employees and step in if any
Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海精密) on Tuesday confirmed a cyberattack targeting some of its North American facilities, but said the affected factories were gradually returning to normal. The company, known globally as Foxconn Technology Group (富士康科技集團), said that its cybersecurity team “activated the response mechanism and implemented operational measures to ensure the continuity of production and delivery.” “The affected factories are resuming normal production,” the company said in a statement. Hon Hai had previously described it as a “technical issue,” when news of the cyberattack first surfaced. The confirmation followed media reports of a large-scale information technology system incident that broke out at