Bruised and battered Wall Street faces another test in the coming week with more data to highlight dire economic conditions and a US Federal Reserve meeting expected to offer a fresh rate cut.
A major question for investors is whether the horrific market action of recent weeks reflects worries of tougher economic conditions ahead or is the result of hedge funds and portfolio managers pulling out cash at any cost to meet redemptions.
In the week to Friday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average slid 5.35 percent to 8,378.95 and has plummeted 37 percent so far this year.
The broad-market Standard & Poor’s 500 index retreated 6.78 percent to 876.77 and the technology-heavy NASDAQ composite plunged 9.3 percent on the week to 1,552.03.
In the coming week, the market will see a grim reminder of the economic woes with the first estimate of US GDP for the third quarter and reports on durable goods orders and consumer confidence.
The Federal Reserve is widely expected to cut key interest rates further at its upcoming two-day meeting, hoping to offer a psychological boost to panic-stricken markets.
Joseph LaVorgna, economist at Deutsche Bank, said he expected a half-point cut that “should embolden some investors to take risk” that would help ailing markets.
“Hopefully, the combination of excess liquidity and government guarantees will encourage investors to extend further out on the money market curve,” he said.
Some analysts argue that the stock market is being punished by portfolio managers forced to sell to pay clients pulling out their cash.
Liz Ann Sonders, chief investment strategist at Charles Schwab & Co, said as many as 10,000 hedge funds with US$2 trillion in assets had been in the markets at their peak. But the size is magnified because many use borrowed funds to increase their assets by up to 30 to 40 times.
“Due to forced deleveraging, partly triggered by record-breaking redemption requests, hundreds of hedge funds are selling, sparking a fire sale on all sorts of investments,” Sonders said.
John Wilson, equity strategist at Morgan Keegan, said he was advising clients to stay in the market.
“If you sell into this air pocket, I believe you run the risk of being the last seller,” he said.
Gina Martin at Wachovia Securities argues the markets are being paralyzed by fear and reflecting the economic turmoil.
“We are starting to acknowledge that we are probably going to have the worst recession in the United States in decades, and that is being acknowledged in equity prices,” she said.
Nouriel Roubini, a New York University economist who has been warning for years of a deep crisis, said that “we have now reached a point where fundamentals and long-term valuation considerations do not matter any more for financial markets.”
“What matters now is only flows — rather than stocks and fundamentals — and flows are unidirectional as everyone is selling and no one is buying as trying to buy equities is like catching a falling knife,” Roubini said.
Gregory Drahuschak at Janney Montgomery Scott said that the markets may be glad to see an end to this month, and that it could mean an end to the “forced selling that has ravaged equities for months.”
Drahuschak said many portfolio managers faced a trading deadline for liquidating shares and that this was driving the panic trades.
“The key date is Oct. 28, which is the last regular settlement date that allows trades to be booked as October business,” he said.
“In past years there has been a strong relationship between this time and the market moving up. This in part probably contributes to the seasonal effect that provides the market with a strong November and December,” Drahuschak said.
Bonds rallied amid the renewed equity market turmoil in the week. The yield on the 10-year Treasury bond slumped to 3.697 percent from 3.938 percent a week earlier, and that on the 30-year bond eased to 4.087 percent against 4.137 percent. Bond yields and prices move in opposite directions.
TWEET CONFIRMED: The US’ Morgan Ortagus backed up Taiwan, saying China only admitted that human-to-human transmission was possible as late as Jan. 20 Taiwan warned the WHO and China about possible human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus at the end of last year, but the global health body did not make it public, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. Department of International Organizations Director-General Bob Chen (陳龍錦) made the remark at a news briefing in Taipei, when asked about statements made by US Department of State spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus. “Dec. 31— that’s the same day Taiwan first tried to warn WHO of human-human transmission. Chinese authorities meanwhile silenced doctors and refused to admit human-human transmission until Jan. 20, with catastrophic consequences,” Ortagus wrote on
ON THE LOOKOUT: A Lockheed EP-3 reconnaissance plane was yesterday seen flying southwest of Kaohsiung, according to Twitter account ‘Aircraft Spots’ A Twitter account that tracks military aircraft movements has indicated an increase in US military activity near Taiwan, coinciding with an increase in Chinese military activity in the area. Planes from the US Seventh Fleet have been sighted frequently above the South China Sea in the past several days, and a US Navy EP-3 reconnaissance plane was seen flying close to Taiwanese airspace southwest of Kaohsiung yesterday, according to posts by the Twitter account Aircraft Spots. The EP-3 was seen circling above the same area, Aircraft Spots said, adding that other planes from the fleet were seen in the past few days
A Taipei resident who had breached his home quarantine order was found on Tuesday night in an Internet cafe and fined NT$1 million (US$32,976), Taipei Deputy Mayor Vivian Huang (黃珊珊) said yesterday, as the Taipei City Government announced a short-term COVID-19 relief plan. Huang on Tuesday afternoon publicized the name of the man, Chen Tse (陳冊), who on Saturday last week returned from Beijing and was ordered to undergo 14-day home quarantine. However, city monitoring officials were unable to contact him by mobile phone or at his home. Chen was found by police at an Internet cafe on Nanyang Street, Huang said
ACCLIMATION: Chen Shih-chung said that only ‘soft’ policies have been carried out so far, but ‘hard’ measures would be implemented if the coronavirus situation worsens The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday recommended that indoor events of more than 100 people and outdoor events with more than 500 people should be canceled, as 19 new imported cases of COVID-19 were announced, bringing the total number in Taiwan to 235. “The center recommends that from now, indoor events of more than 100 people and outdoor events with more than 500 people should be suspended to reduce the risk of COVID-19 community transmission,” said Deputy Minister of the Interior Chen Tsung-yen (陳宗彥), deputy head of the center. Event organizers should refer to six indicators listed in the response guidelines