Samsung Electronics, South Korea's high-tech giant, yesterday posted its lowest quarterly profit in three years due to a strong won and weaker sales in its microchip, display panel and handset operations.
The world's largest memory-chip maker said that its second quarter net profit stood at 1.51 trillion won (US$1.58 billion), down 10.7 percent from a year ago and down 20.1 percent from the previous quarter.
Operating profit fell 14 percent year-on-year and was down 11.8 percent from the three months to March at 1.42 trillion won although this was still enough to beat market forecasts for 1.2-1.3 trillion won.
The figures were the weakest since the second quarter of 2003, when the company posted a 1.16 trillion won operating profit.
Sales were up 3.8 percent year-on-year and 1 percent quarter-on-quarter to 14.11 trillion won, again beating market estimates for 13.83 trillion won.
"During the second quarter, many companies in the industry faced difficulties due to declining prices in mainstay products," senior vice president Chu Woo-sik said.
Samsung has been hit by price falls in major product lines and a strong won, which dampens exports, but it painted a positive picture about its performance in the second half of the year, citing stable liquid-crystal display (LCD) prices, higher handset sales and a tighter supply of chips.
Analysts said Samsung provided clear guidance into the second half, projecting stronger seasonal demand for chips, displays and handsets despite concern over high oil prices and a possible global economic slowdown.
"Samsung may enjoy a sharp upturn in the third quarter as prices of major IT products are expected to stabilize," said Korea Investment Securities analyst Michael Min.
Hannuri Securities' Ahn Sung-ho said Samsung showed confidence over the second half.
"NAND flash chips are a concern but unless Apple misses its timeline for a new iPod product this September, Samsung will be able to enjoy stable demand," he said.
Samsung is a major supplier of these key chips used hugely popular portable digital music players and phones.
In the three months to last month, Samsung's handset sales fell four percent from a year ago to 4.04 trillion won as stiff competition led to sharp price cuts although the company enjoyed brisk sales in its microchip and LCD operations.
The LCD division posted 2.85 trillion won in revenue in the second quarter, up six percent from the previous quarter but its operating profit fell 30.6 percent to 70 billion won.
Samsung's LCD business was hit hard by price declines but the company predicted they would be stabilizing as many manufacturers began to cut output.
Also yesterday, Samsung signed a 1.9 billion dollar contract with Japan's Sony to build a new joint venture production line for large LCD panels.
The joint venture currently makes 40-inch LCD panels, used in televisions. Its new LCD line will have a monthly capacity of 50,000 panels.
The deal comes amid growing competition among major LCD makers for the world's fast-growing large flat panel market which has been dominated by Samsung and rival LG Philips, a Dutch-South Korean joint venture.
LG Philips reported a record net loss of 322 billion won in the second quarter, highlighting the competitive pressures on the industry which has seen a huge ramp up in capacity in recent years.
Meanwhile, Samsung said it will invest US$200 million to form a venture with Siltronic AG to make chip wafers.
The Singapore-based venture will be named Samsung Electronics Asia Holding, Samsung said in a regulatory filing in Seoul yesterday.
Samsung and Germany's Siltronic will each own half of the venture, the statement said.
INCURSION: After 13 PLA aircraft flew into Taiwan’s ADIZ, the US Department of State said that China should rather ‘engage in meaningful dialogue’ with Taiwan US President Joe Biden’s administration on Saturday urged China to stop placing military pressure on Taiwan, while calling on both sides of the Taiwan Strait to engage in peaceful dialogue. The statement by the US Department of State was issued after 13 Chinese military aircraft flew into Taiwan’s southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Saturday, the highest number observed in a single day this year, the Ministry of National Defense said. The air force scrambled fighter jets to monitor the Chinese aircraft, issuing radio warnings and mobilizing air defense assets until the planes left the ADIZ. The US “notes
‘INCREASED VIGILANCE’: A source of infection has not yet been found for the latest two cases in a hospital cluster, which should serve as a warning, Chen Shih-chung said A total of 2,991 people associated with a COVID-19 cluster infection at Taoyuan General Hospital have been put under home isolation, after an emergency expanded isolation order was issued on Sunday evening, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. Fifteen people have so far tested positive in the cluster infection. The first case in the cluster (case No. 838) was reported on Jan. 12 — a doctor who treated an infected patient who had returned from the US. Contact tracing for the first 13 cases found connections to case No. 838, said Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who
FAMILY UNIT: The CECC warned that the eldest sister of the latest case, who also has COVID-19, visited Taoyuan’s Chungping evening market on Tuesday and Wednesday The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported a domestic case of COVID-19, associated with a recent cluster infection at Taoyuan General Hospital, and two imported cases. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that the latest case (No. 885) is a woman in her 50s, who is the third daughter of case No. 881, a man in his 90s. The woman is the main caregiver of her elderly father, who had been hospitalized earlier this month and was treated by a nurse (case No. 852) from Monday to Thursday last week, he said, adding that
DUBIOUS HONOR? A man in his 90s, who tested positive yesterday and is part of the Taoyuan hospital cluster, is the oldest person in Taiwan to have contracted COVID-19 Taiwan yesterday recorded six new imported cases of COVID-19 and two new domestic cases, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said, adding that the local infections are linked to the cluster at Taoyuan General Hospital, which now totals 12 cases. One of the domestic cases is a man in his 90s, who was treated earlier this month at Taoyuan General Hospital and tested negative for COVID-19 on Monday last week, four days before he was discharged, the center said in a statement. After one of the nurses on the ward was confirmed on Saturday last week to have contracted COVID-19, the