Australian Prime Minister John Howard said he was delighted to finally win Senate support for Telstra's full privatization even as a key supporter warned yesterday that the telecoms giant's languishing share price means the sale is still no certainty.
Howard, who has pushed for full privatization since he won power almost a decade ago, praised his Senate colleagues for giving the A$30 billion (US$23 billion) sell-off the green light.
"I think we can look forward to a new era for telecommunications in Australia," the conservative prime minister said late on Wednesday at the UN in New York, where he is attending a summit of world leaders.
"We will now have a fully and freely operating Telstra when the process has been completed. That will provide a more competitive environment and when you have a more competitive environment, you have better outcomes for customers," Howard said.
Following its narrow 37 to 35 passage through the Senate, the sale legislation went to the lower House of Representatives yesterday where its approval was a formality in a chamber where the government has a comfortable majority.
After two partial floats in 1997 and 1999, the government's remaining stake in Telstra is 51.8 percent.
It had previously said it planned to proceed with the sale late next year but the timetable has been thrown into turmoil by recent falls in the company's share price.
Government budget papers assume the shares will be sold at A$5.20 but the stock closed at A$4.44 yesterday, up A$0.08 or 1.8 percent.
Barnaby Joyce, the rebel government senator who finally supported the sale after months of wavering, said up to A$5 billion would be lost if a "fire sale" of Australia's largest telecommunications company was approved.
"I think for all intents and purposes we're going to continue owning Telstra for a very long while," Joyce told Channel Nine yesterday.
The Labor Party opposition has for its part vowed to cancel the sale if it wins office, making the future of Telstra a potential election issue at the next national poll, which is likely to be held in 2007.
Labor communications spokesman Stephen Conroy has predicted privatization will result in poorer services, rising prices and the slashing of up to 14,000 Telstra jobs.
However, Howard said he believed public confidence in Telstra would pick up now that the uncertainty over the sale's passage was over and this in turn would pave the way for a share price revival.
"There will be an air of normalcy returning," Howard said. "People will see the inherent strengths of the company and they will understand the value of the guarantees that have been put in place."
However, CMC Markets analyst David Land said the problems at Telstra were deep-seated and there was little chance of sustained gains.
"It was pleasing for so many to see the share price rally following Senate approval for the privatization to go ahead but it really now puts the focus on the much more disturbing organizational problems that seem likely to plague the company for some time into the future," he said.
HONG KONG SECURITY: The president blasted regulations requiring Taiwanese agents or political organizations to provide information on their Hong Kong-related activities President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday warned of countermeasures should controversial Chinese national security legislation imposed on Hong Kong undermine or harm Taiwanese interests. Article 43 of the legislation empowers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to serve written notices to Taiwanese political organizations or individual agents to furnish information on their Hong Kong-related activities, including their personal particulars, finances, assets, expenditure and capital in the territory. Failure to comply or providing false or incomplete information can result in a fine of HK$100,000 (US$12,903) or imprisonment of six months or two years respectively. Tsai said that Taiwan would keep a close watch on how
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
PROBE LAUNCHED: An officer who served as a supervisor in the drill died in an apparent suicide after the accident, which was caused by unexpected waves Two marines who were on Friday injured in a military exercise in the waters off Kaohsiung passed away yesterday, Navy Command said. The marines — surnamed Tsai (蔡), 26, and a sergeant surnamed Chen (陳), 36 — were in a seven-member Marine Corps team that encountered rough seas during a simulated response to enemy forces landing on Taiwan. Their rubber craft overturned in waters off Taoziyuan (桃子園) beach in Zuoying District (左營), injuring four of the marines. They were rushed to hospital, where three of them — Tsai, Chen and a 34-year-old sergeant — were taken to an intensive care unit