The EU and US on Tuesday stepped back from the brink of a damaging trade war and agreed to begin talks on ending multibillion subsidies to Airbus and Boeing, the world's largest civil plane manufacturers. \nTheir decision to suspend the threat of tit-for-tat litigation at the WTO, starting with three months of open-ended negotiations instead, averts a wider risk to the Doha round of global trade liberalization talks which could have been capsized by the row. \nIt clears the way for a more relaxed visit by US President George W. Bush to Europe next month. It also represents a substantial climbdown by the US authorities propelled into the dispute by Boeing's chief executive, Harry Stonecipher. \nAirbus was due to rub salt in Boeing's wounds yesterday by announcing in Paris that it has, for the second year running, secured more deliveries of aircraft than Boeing and intends to do so for the next few years via a booming order book. It won orders for 10 freight versions of its A380 superjumbo from US carrier UPS on Tuesday. \nBut Tuesday's deal, brokered by EU Trade Commissioner Peter Mandelson and outgoing US Trade Representative Bob Zoellick, means Airbus will not be allowed to seek launch aid for its A350 plane from its four supporting governments -- Britain, France, Germany and Spain. \nStonecipher, who welcomed the "good faith" displayed by the EU and US, was enraged that Airbus planned to develop the A350 as a direct rival to his company's crucial 787 Dreamliner, a 250-seat "ecological" jet that will be Boeing's first new plane for two decades. \nBut Mandelson signalled that the EU will not easily give up government launch aid, repayable with interest: "These investments, which I don't regard as subsidies as such, are transparent and legal ... In comparison, subsidies for Boeing are opaque and indirect, via the Pentagon and Nasa and various federal and sub-federal tax subsidy programs."
‘HERO OF THE ERA’: President Tsai Ing-wen expressed deep sadness at Lee’s passing, and told the government to assist his family with all their needs Former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) passed away at 7:24pm yesterday at Taipei Veterans General Hospital. He was 97 years old. The hospital stated the cause of death as septic shock and multiple organ failure. Lee had been hospitalized there since February, when he choked on a mouthful of milk at home. He was later diagnosed with pulmonary infiltrates and aspiration pneumonia. The hospital said that Lee had been treated with antibiotics, but that his health had not improved, as his advanced age and diabetes had inhibited his immune system and led to recurring infections. During his hospitalization, Lee underwent daily kidney dialysis, which removed
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
RECEIVING TREATMENT: President Tsai Ing-wen, Vice President William Lai and Premier Su Tseng-chang visited former president Lee Teng-hui yesterday morning Taipei Veterans General Hospital yesterday rebutted speculation that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had died a day earlier, saying that he was weak, but receiving treatment. The hospital said the 97-year-old Lee was not in good condition and needed ongoing care, adding that if there are any changes in his condition, it would make those public. The comments came after rumors emerged online on Tuesday that Lee had died after being hospitalized since early February. Soon after the unsubstantiated rumors emerged, reporters started flocking to the hospital seeking confirmation. Lee was admitted to Taipei Veterans General Hospital on Feb. 8 after choking while drinking
THAI CASE UPDATE: Twenty-nine close contacts of the worker have been tested with two types of tests, including 18 dorm mates, with 28 negative results so far Five imported cases of COVID-19, four from the Philippines and one from Hong Kong, were reported yesterday, bringing the total confirmed cases in Taiwan to 467, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. The four returning from the Philippines were on the same flight, and the local health department has identified 15 people who had direct contact with them — including 10 passengers in the two rows in front or behind them, who have been put under 14-day home isolation, and five crew members, who will practice 14-day self-health management, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang