North Korea’s COVID-19 curbs have aggravated the country’s human rights abuses, a UN report said on Thursday last week, citing new restrictions on access to information, tighter border security and heightened digital surveillance.
The report, released by the UN human rights office in Seoul and to be presented to the UN General Assembly next month, came as rights groups have said that various authoritarian governments the world over have exploited the COVID-19 crisis to tighten their grips and persecute opponents.
Based on interviews with defectors, information from other UN agencies and open source materials, the report said that North Korea’s border closure in early 2020 added to curbs on access to outside information.
Authorities reinforced the military’s presence, fences, and closed-circuit television cameras and motion detectors along the border, the report said.
The country also employed new technologies, such as digital watermarking and the modification of hardware, to conduct surveillance and suppress access to foreign media content, while jamming radio frequencies from outside North Korea.
Those measures made it “more difficult for information to enter the country, such as through the distribution of USB memory sticks and micro SD cards,” the report said.
Pyongyang has repeatedly rejected accusations of rights abuses and criticized UN investigations on its situation as a US-backed scheme to interfere with its internal affairs.
The country declared victory over COVID-19 and this month eased some restrictions, including a mask mandate except in border regions, after reporting its first-ever outbreak in May.
North Korea has never confirmed how many cases were detected in total, but instead reported daily tallies of fever cases until late last month.
The report also said the outbreak could have worsened North Koreans’ access to adequate food and healthcare, citing a lack of medical infrastructure.
AT WASHINGTON SUMMIT: The agreement between the US and 14 Pacific nations came half a year after the Solomon Islands struck a security deal with China The Solomon Islands has joined 13 other Pacific nations in signing a wide-reaching US-led partnership agreement, after early indications it would refuse. The 10-point US-Pacific Partnership deal was announced by the White House on Thursday evening, following the first-ever meeting between a US president and the leaders of every major Pacific nation. It includes commitments for increased action on climate change, economic development and security cooperation. Earlier, US President Joe Biden committed more than US$810 million to a new Pacific initiative. “A great deal of the history of our world is going to be written in the Indo-Pacific over the coming years
LANDING INCIDENT: A plane with 63 passengers was shot at by ‘terrorists’ from an ethnic minority militia, state news reported, although militants denied responsibility Myanmar’s military government accused rebel forces in the eastern state of Kayah of firing at a passenger plane as it was preparing to land on Friday, wounding a passenger who was hit by a bullet that penetrated the fuselage. Rebel groups denied the allegation. Myanmar state television MRTV said the Myanmar National Airlines plane, carrying 63 passengers, was hit as it was about to land in Loikaw, the capital of the eastern state of Kayah, also known as Karenni. It cited junta spokesman Major General Zaw Min Tun as saying the shooting was carried out by “terrorists” belonging to the Karenni National
FAMILY OUTING: The president, his wife and two sons went to Singapore on a military plane to watch an F1 race as the Philippines grapples with the aftermath of a typhoon A trip by Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr to Singapore over the weekend to watch Formula One races has come under attack from critics who described it as “utterly callous” while thousands of Filipinos remain displaced due to a recent typhoon. Marcos Jr confirmed his trip to Singapore for the Grand Prix event in a brief statement and pictures he posted on Facebook on Monday night after a flurry of online criticism. “They say that playing golf is the best way to drum up business, but I say it’s Formula 1,” Marcos Jr said. “What a productive weekend.” He said without elaborating that
AHEAD OF CCP CONGRESS: The indictment came as a former deputy minister was given a death sentence with a two-year reprieve for stock manipulation and bribery Former Tibet vice governor Zhang Yongze (張永澤) has been indicted on charges of accepting bribes, state media reported yesterday. Zhang is the latest high-level former official to be indicted on graft charges weeks before a major congress of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), whose leader, Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), has made fighting corruption a signature issue. Zhang “took advantage of his former positions and power to seek benefits for others” in obtaining government contracts and obtaining promotions, for which he “illegally accepted a large amount of money and valuables in return,” the official Xinhua news agency quoted the indictment as saying. Zhang’s