Anchor Dhobie de Guzman has been the face of a popular news show in the northern Philippines for more than a decade. Now the closure of his regional station — and dozens of others nationwide — has left him out of work.
He is among hundreds of journalists to lose their jobs at ABS-CBN as the broadcasting giant — a critic of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte — slashes its operations after advertising revenues were ravaged by the loss of its free-to-air license in May.
The closure of 53 regional television and radio stations that broadcast in six languages will deprive millions of Filipinos of their main source of local news and entertainment.
“It’s painful,” De Guzman, 43, said on Friday, after presenting the final TV Patrol North Luzon in a studio 240km from the capital, Manila.
“You do your job responsibly, you do your share to change the life of ordinary people, then at the end of the day you lose your platform to do that,” he said.
Congress last month rejected ABS-CBN’s application for a new 25-year franchise and a Supreme Court petition over the issue was dismissed.
ABS-CBN, which is owned by the wealthy Lopez family, has broadcast continuously since 1953, except from 1972 to 1986, when it was seized by dictator Ferdinand Marcos — who Duterte admires.
Duterte has a history of clashing with media outlets critical of his policies, including his controversial drug war that has killed thousands of people.
While he has denied any involvement in Congress’ decision to reject ABS-CBN’s application, he had previously pledged to block its license renewal.
In the months since losi ng its free-to-air permit, ABS-CBN has kept showing many of its popular news and drama programs on cable TV and online.
However, much of the advertising revenue it used to rake in has been wiped out, forcing the broadcaster to dramatically cut costs.
“Unfortunately, [digital advertising revenue] is not at the same level as broadcast, so that’s where the challenge is nowadays,” ABS-CBN news and current affairs boss Regina Reyes said.
After the closure of the regional stations on Friday, more parts of the network were shuttered yesterday and many of its stars are expected to move on.
Thousands of jobs — including staff and contractors — could be lost, ABS-CBN said previously.
For decades, ABS-CBN’s regional network has played a vital role in broadcasting information on natural disasters, such as typhoons, and health crises — including the COVID0-19 pandemic — to isolated communities that have little or no internet access.
For many, it is their only source of news.
Fishers in some regions have long relied on their local broadcaster to know if it was safe to go out to sea, Reyes said.
“Not everyone has access to the Internet, to radio or newspapers,” said Micaella Ilao, a TV reporter in Baguio.
“Removing [TV broadcasters] deprives the people of the privilege to receive proper information,” Ilao said.
The Foreign Correspondents Association of the Philippines has described the closure of ABS-CBN’s regional stations as a “black day for independent media” in the country.
“It’s an avoidable national tragedy, inflicted by the very people who should protect Filipinos from all adversity,” it said.
ABS-CBN is allowed to file a fresh petition, but its success would require members of Congress, dominated by Duterte allies and whose terms expire in 2022, to change their minds.
For now, they are mourning the loss of their network.
“It’s not just a channel... it’s a relationship, a connection that has been lost,” said Stanley Palisada, who was head of the regional news group.
“You become the medium of preference for people, for the local community, to complain, to ask for help in reaching out to the government officials and [entities] who may have the solutions to their problems,” he said.
An Australian university student who has never visited China and has only a modest social media following would seem an unlikely target for the Chinese government. However, when a Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman personally denounced Drew Pavlou at a news conference, it was just the next phase in an extraordinary campaign against the 21-year-old that has fueled concerns over China’s targeting of critics overseas. Pavlou first placed himself in the superpower’s sights when in July last year he organized a small sit-in at the University of Queensland, where he studies, to protest against various Chinese government policies. Since then, the Global
‘ASKED TO MOVE OUT’: Indonesian coast guard personnel argued with a Chinese vessel over territorial claims after it entered the country’s exclusive economic zone An Indonesian patrol ship confronted a Chinese coast guard vessel that spent almost three days in waters where Indonesia claims economic rights and that are near the southernmost part of China’s disputed claims to the South China Sea. The Indonesian Maritime Security Agency on Friday night detected Chinese ship 5204 entering Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in what Indonesia calls the North Natuna Sea. The agency sent a patrol ship that closed within 1km of the Chinese coast guard vessel and they communicated to affirm their position and their nation’s claims to the area, Indonesian Maritime Security Agency head Aan Kurnia said. “We
BEFORE WINTER COMES: Snow cuts off roads into Ladakh for four months or more each year, so the crunch is on to get food, tents and high-altitude equipment to Leh From deploying mules to large transport aircraft, the Indian military has activated its entire logistics network to transport supplies to thousands of troops for a harsh winter along a bitterly disputed Himalayan border with China. In the past few months, one of India’s biggest military logistics exercises in years has brought vast quantities of ammunition, equipment, fuel, winter supplies and food into Ladakh, a region bordering Tibet that India administers as a union territory, officials said. The move was triggered by a border standoff with China in the snow deserts of Ladakh that began in May and escalated in June into hand-to-hand
Dark matter, mysterious invisible stuff that makes up most of the mass of galaxies, including the Milky Way, is confounding scientists again, with new observations of distant galaxies conflicting with the current understanding of its nature. Research published this week revealed an unexpected discrepancy between observations of dark matter concentrations in three massive clusters of galaxies encompassing trillions of stars and theoretical computer simulations of how dark matter should be distributed. “Either there is a missing ingredient in the simulations or we have made a fundamental incorrect assumption about the nature of dark matter,” Yale University astrophysicist Priyamvada Natarajan, a coauthor of