Jeffrey Epstein killed himself, New York City’s chief medical examiner has concluded, rebutting a slew of conspiracy theories that he was murdered.
Epstein’s body was found on Saturday last week in his cell in a federal prison in Manhattan.
Medical examiner Barbara Sampson conducted an autopsy on Sunday, but had held off on issuing a report pending additional information.
Epstein, a fund manager worth hundreds of millions of dollars, was arrested last month, charged with sex trafficking in minors and denied bail as a flight risk and a threat to the community.
That the risk he posed to himself appears to have been mismanaged after an earlier apparent suicide attempt is the subject of intense controversy and multiple investigations.
On July 23, Epstein was found unconscious in his cell, the Metropolitan Correctional Center, with injuries to his neck, and placed on suicide watch, but then removed from regular observation.
At the time of his death, he was alone in his cell.
His death came the day after more than 2,000 pages of filings were unsealed, revealing allegations that a host of prominent people were involved in his acts, fueling the conspiracy theories.
Guards on their morning rounds found him about 6:30am, the jail’s warden said.
According to the New York Times, which reported the release of the medical examiner’s report earlier on Friday, he secured a bedsheet to the top of a set of bunk beds and then dropped toward the floor with enough force to break a number of bones in his neck.
The US Department of Justice declined to comment on the medical examiner’s report.
“No one should die in jail,” Epstein’s lawyers said in an e-mailed statement. “The defense team fully intends to conduct its own independent and complete investigation into the circumstances and cause of Mr Epstein’s death including if necessary legal action to view the pivotal videos — if they exist as they should.”
The lawyers said they are not satisfied with the conclusions of the medical examiner and would issue a more complete response later.
The FBI and the US Bureau of Prisons are investigating Epstein’s death.
The jail’s warden has been transferred and two of the guards have been suspended.
Epstein was accused of molesting teenage girls from 2002 to 2005.
Last month, he pleaded not guilty to charges of sex trafficking in minors and conspiracy and said he had fully complied with the law for more than 14 years.
He had pleaded guilty in 2008 to Florida state charges of soliciting prostitution from a minor, in a controversial non-prosecution agreement with the US.
Conspiracy theories about possible efforts to silence Epstein erupted on social media, with topics such as #TrumpBodyCount and #ClintonBodyCount trending on Twitter.
US President Donald Trump himself joined in, retweeting an unsubstantiated claim suggesting that former US president Bill Clinton was somehow responsible for Epstein’s death.
Trump, who spent last weekend at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey, also retweeted a post that referred to a claim by Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre that Clinton visited the private island owned by his one-time donor.
A spokesman for Clinton has previously denied the former president ever visited Epstein’s island.
Authorities are reviewing apparent irregularities related to Epstein’s death, including whether the two guards responsible for him slept through checks that they were supposed to conduct every 30 minutes and then falsified records to cover up the lapse, according to a person familiar with the probe.
Investigators are also examining the staffing conditions at the facility.
The prisons bureau had been hobbled by a hiring freeze under Trump’s administration, although US Attorney General William Barr lifted the freeze in April.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable