France’s “yellow vests” were yesterday expected to stage further anti-government protests, despite authorities vowing a “zero tolerance” approach after major riots in Paris last week.
Paris police have banned the protesters from a large area in the west of the city, including the famed Champs-Elysees avenue, scene of last week’s rampage by hundreds of anarchists, as well as the presidential palace and the French National Assembly.
Similar bans have been announced in the centers of Toulouse, Bordeaux, Dijon, Rennes and the southern city of Nice, where Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) is to meet with French President Emmanuel Macron this weekend.
Macron is under pressure to avoid a repeat of last week’s sacking of the Champs-Elysees, where more than 100 shops were damaged, looted or set alight during seven hours of rioting by mainly masked, black-clad protesters.
The government has announced plans to redeploy soldiers from its Sentinelle counterterrorism force to guard public buildings to free up the police to tackle the radicals.
The announcement has drawn howls of protest from the opposition, which has accused the government of playing with fire.
On social media, “yellow vest” leaders, who have been accused of whipping up the violence with incendiary rhetoric, urged caution.
In a YouTube post, truck driver Eric Drouet called on protesters not to try to return to the Champs-Elysees.
“It’s a very, very bad idea. You know what image they’re trying to create of us,” he said, predicting a “quiet Saturday.”
Macron’s government drew fierce criticism over its handling of last week’s protests.
The police appeared to hang back in the face of sustained attacks, after being accused of using excessive force during several previous such protests.
The Paris police chief was fired over the violence.
On Friday, cleanup operations continued on the Champs-Elysees.
Shattered panes were being removed from a Swarovski crystal store, which was ransacked after neglecting to board up its windows.
Work was also being carried out on six news kiosks that were torched, leaving several newspaper vendors out of work.
Sylvain, the leader of a team of repair workers who did not wish to give his full name, backed the use of the army to help restore order.
“Either they do that, or Macron resigns,” he said. “He needs to show the world that the government has a handle on the country and on the capital.”
The protests began in rural France on Nov. 17 last year over fuel tax increases and quickly ballooned into a full-scale anti-government rebellion that two months of public policy debates have failed to defuse.
In the past few weeks, the protesters’ numbers have dwindled, falling from 282,000 nationwide on the first Saturday to just 32,000 last week, official estimates showed.
However, those still on the streets appear more determined than ever to make their presence felt.
In a video posted on Facebook this week, Maxime Nicolle said that the periodic rioting in the capital and other cities was the result of “40 years of being beaten psychologically and financially” by successive governments.
“It’s a bit as if a battered woman beats up her boyfriend and you say she’s the violent one,” he said.
The violence has cost the protesters — who want higher taxes on the rich and a greater say for ordinary people in the running of the country — public support, a poll published on Wednesday showed.
About 53 percent of respondents said that they either supported or felt a degree of sympathy toward the movement, down eight points in a week.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable
SURGE CONTINUES: India recorded its steepest spike of more than 57,000 new virus cases in 24 hours, as Vietnam went from no virus deaths to reporting three South Korean prosecutors yesterday arrested the elderly leader of a secretive religious sect as part of an investigation into allegations that the church hampered the government’s COVID-19 response after thousands of worshipers were infected in February and March. Prosecutors in the central city of Suwon have been questioning 88-year-old Lee Man-hee, chairman of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, over charges that the church hid some members and underreported gatherings to avoid broader quarantines. The Suwon District Court granted prosecutors’ request to arrest Lee over concerns that he could temper with evidence. Lee and his church have steadfastly denied the accusations, saying they are