Investigators on Thursday said they had found 166 skulls in clandestine burial pits in the Gulf coast state of Veracruz, one of the biggest mass graves discovered so far in Mexico.
Veracruz state prosecutor Jorge Winckler said that for security reasons he would not reveal the location of the site.
Mexican drug cartels frequently use clandestine pits to dispose of their victims.
Winckler said the bodies were buried at least two years ago and did not rule out finding more remains.
He said investigators had found 114 ID cards in the field, which held about 32 burial pits.
Clothes, personal possessions and other parts of skeletons were also recovered, but investigators focused on the skulls in counting, because each corresponds to one person.
Veracruz was the scene of bloody turf battles between the Zetas and Jalisco drug cartels, but the state also suffered waves of kidnappings and extortions.
Winckler said prosecutors found the field after a witness told them that “hundreds of bodies” were buried there.
Investigators used drones, probes and ground-penetrating radar to locate the pits and began digging about a month ago.
Winckler said groups of relatives of missing people who perform their own searches for graves were not invited to participate in this one to maintain secrecy.
He said they would be shown photos of items found at the site in a bid to help identify the remains.
Disappeared activist Lucia Diaz, whose Colectivo Solecito group has led police to other burial grounds in the past, said she does not trust the announcement.
“We don’t trust the work they do, we have a lot of reasons,” Diaz said, adding that in one past case investigators excavated too quickly and pulled bodies out in pieces.
“In this case they took out 166 bodies in one month? It cannot have been done properly. It’s impossible, too quickly,” she said.
Diaz joined the effort after her own son, Guillermo Lagunes Diaz, was kidnapped from his home in 2013. No trace of him was ever found.
She said prosecutors illegally excluded families of the disappeared from the latest effort.
“He [Winckler] went against the law, because the law says the families have a right to participate now,” she said.
Maria de Lourdes Rosales Calvo, who has been searching for her son, Jonatten Celma Rosales, since he was abducted with his girlfriend in July 2013, said the news of the newly discovered grave “gives hope.”
“They await us in forensics next week to look at the belongings and IDs that were found,” she said.
She said that authorities invited all of the state’s collectives of families searching for missing loved ones, including hers, known as the Veracruz Mothers Network, to come to the state capital.
Her son was 25 years old and working in foreign trade when four armed men abducted him and his girlfriend from their home six blocks from the mother’s home.
When she reported it, authorities told her that she had to wait 72 hours. Later, they brushed her aside, saying the couple had run off, she said.
Four days after they were taken, she received a call demanding ransom and warned her not to go to the authorities. She paid a fraction of it for five seconds on the phone with someone who might have been her son. It was only long enough to hear him say: “Mom,” and then the line cut. She did not hear from them again.
It was not the first time that someone with inside knowledge of mass graves revealed their location.
In 2016 and 2017, Veracruz investigators found 253 skulls and bodies in burial pits outside the state capital, after relatives of missing people said they received a hand-drawn map from someone detailing the location of the graves.
In 2011, police found 236 bodies in burial pits in the capital of northern Durango state.
A total of 193 corpses were found in the town of San Fernando in Tamaulipas state, just north of Veracruz.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable