Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi on Saturday ordered authorities to punish those responsible for the capsizing of a ship that resulted in the deaths of more than 160 refugees, as families demanded the bodies of their loved ones.
Rescue workers and fishermen rescued 169 people after the boat sank off Egypt’s Mediterranean coast early on Wednesday with up to 600 on board, suggesting many more might have perished than the death toll of 162 given by security officials.
However, a survivor whose comments appeared in a video online said the refugees had been told that about 200 people would be on board, but that the smugglers had then added another 50, causing the boat to founder.
Survivors, their relatives and families of the dead have been complaining of what they say is inaction by Egyptian authorities, such as the coast guard.
On Saturday morning, scores of families stormed the gate of a coast guard checkpoint chanting: “We want our children, we want our children.”
The coast guard service says it foiled an illegal migration attempt and saved lives. Four members of the crew have been arrested.
Following a meeting with the prime minister, minister of interior and the head of the general intelligence service, al-Sisi ordered authorities to prosecute those who caused the incident, a presidential statement said.
Officials say the boat was carrying Egyptian, Sudanese, Eritrean and Somalian refugees and that they believed it was heading for Italy.
More and more people have been trying to cross to Italy from the African coast over the summer months, particularly from Libya, where people-traffickers operate with relative impunity.
The International Organization for Migration says that more than 3,200 refugees have died while attempting to cross the Mediterranean this year, while about 300,000 have reached European shores.
ACADEMIC FREEDOM: One professor told her students to submit anonymized papers and not to record any online classes. Some US schools have announced similar steps Students at Oxford University specializing in the study of China are being asked to submit some papers anonymously to protect them from the possibility of retribution under the sweeping new security law introduced three months ago in Hong Kong. The anonymity ruling is to be applied in classes, and group tutorials are to be replaced by one-to-ones. Students are also to be warned that it will be viewed as a disciplinary offence if they tape classes or share them with outside groups. The Hong Kong National Security Law was imposed on June 30 by Beijing after more than a year of pro-democracy
Japan’s government yesterday urged people to seek help if they were struggling to cope, following Sunday’s death of the popular actress and Miss Sherlock star Yuko Takeuchi, 40. News of her death shocked the nation and follows other recent cases of Japanese celebrities taking their lives, with figures showing a recent rise in suicides. Takeuchi was a household name in Japan and had given birth to her second child in January. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato did not mention a particular case, but said that some people were struggling to cope during the COVID-19 pandemic. “There has been an uptick in the number
China on Thursday lashed out at the US at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the COVID-19 pandemic, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough.” Two days after US President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft, also took an outraged tone — after which her Chinese counterpart showed palpable anger. “I must say, enough is enough. You have created enough troubles for the world already,” Chinese Ambassador to the UN Zhang Jun (張軍) told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference
PAPAL POLITICS? The controversial Australian prelate’s return to Rome comes just days after the pope fired one of his most powerful opponents over a financial scandal Cardinal George Pell, Pope Francis’ former finance minister, is to soon return to the Vatican during an extraordinary economic scandal for the first time since he was cleared of child abuse allegations in Australia five months ago, a church agency said yesterday. Pell is to fly back to Rome today, CathNews, an information agency of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference said, citing “sources close to” Pell. Pell’s return follows Francis last week firing one of the cardinal’s most powerful opponents, Cardinal Angelo Becciu, over a financial scandal. Pell was regarded as the third-highest-ranking Vatican official and was attempting to wrestle the Holy See’s