Ratings juggernaut The Walking Dead on Friday revealed that fans will have to wait until Oct. 23 to see how one of the most talked-about cliffhangers in cable TV history plays out.
Showrunner Scott Gimple announced the date for the season seven opener on day two of the annual San Diego Comic-Con fanfest, with the Hall H schedule cleared for networks to show off their biggest shows. Viewers in 125 countries will be able to see the Walking Dead opener, distributed internationally by Fox, within 24 hours of its US debut.
“It’s absolutely worth the wait,” executive producer Robert Kirkman promised of the hotly anticipated episode, directed by fellow executive producer Greg Nicotero.
The focus of season six was the debut of archnemesis Negan, who is seen in the comic books beating one of the best-loved characters to death.
The producers of cable TV’s most successful show ever have generated huge buzz among its millions of fans by building up to the moment.
Season six teased audiences over whether the same character would be on the end of Negan’s barbed-wire-covered baseball bat, “Lucille.” However, it wrapped amid controversy with the question unanswered, in an excruciating cliffhanger that sparked outrage online among fans who felt they were being manipulated.
A packed crowd in Comic-Con’s 6,500-seat main venue was treated to new footage of season seven, although there were no big clues on the identity of Negan’s victim.
Instead, fans were offered glimpses at The Kingdom, a group from Kirkman’s comic books, and its leader Ezekiel and his pet tiger.
Jeffery Dean Morgan, who plays Negan, opened the session walking behind seated cast members, menacingly wielding Lucille.
Among the stars at the panel were Andrew Lincoln — who plays the central character, Rick Grimes — Norman Reedus, Lauren Cohan and Steven Yeun.
“We all link arms, it’s a really shitty start to the season, but hang on because we are heading to one of the greatest showdowns of the show,” Lincoln said.
Season seven is to be broken up, with the show returning for the final eight episodes of the run in February next year. Comic-Con attendees also heard from the cast and crew behind the show’s spin-off, Fear the Walking Dead, which returns after a mid-season break on Aug. 21.
A new trailer showed the survivors, split up and facing a burgeoning apocalypse south of the border in Mexico.
“They’re separated and learning to survive on their own... there’s a level of intensity and violence you haven’t seen before,” executive producer Dave Erickson said.
There was a moment of comic relief when Fear actor Lorenzo James Henrie said he had learned a lot about what it was like to be targeted and tormented through playing his character, Chris.
When a puzzled murmur began to spread throughout the hall, moderator Chris Hardwick had to point out to the nonplussed audience that the actor had said “bullying,” not “bowling.”
Hall H — where participating studios and networks show off their most prestigious shows — was taken over in the afternoon by Game of Thrones.
One of the big topics of conversation was a delayed start to the new season, which is to be shot with the fictional land of Westeros finally experiencing winter.
“Winter is here, and we’ve got to shoot in places with trees and wait for the leaves to turn,” showrunner David Benioff said.
Game of Thrones enjoyed a record-breaking season six with more than 25 million viewers a week and 23 Emmy nominations, including best drama, which it won last year.
Benioff and co-showrunner D.B. Weiss have announced a shortened run of episodes for the final two seasons while HBO has confirmed season seven will return in the summer of next year.
The show usually premieres in April, but Benioff said the later start would allow more time to film during colder weather.
He told the Comic-Con crowd the show would not finish shooting until February next year and that “there’s no way to get the show out there until summer.”
Female flight attendants working for Japan Airlines would next month be allowed to wear trousers and abandon high heels, the company said on Thursday, after a feminist campaign took off. The airline became one of the first major Japanese firms to announce the shift after a campaign known as #KuToo last year rejected mandatory high heels at work, drawing more than 32,000 signatures in an online petition. The campaign is part of a wider feminism movement in Japan, with Japan Airlines saying that the new policy was aimed at boosting a “diverse working environment.” PANTS PERMIT “This will be the first time to introduce
FATAL IDEA: The nation’s drugs regulator is curbing use of hydroxychloroquine, which Donald Trump has promoted for its alleged potential to treat COVID-19 Australia’s drug regulator has been forced to restrict powers to prescribe a drug undergoing clinical trials to treat COVID-19, because doctors have been inappropriately prescribing it to themselves and their family members, despite potentially deadly side effects. The anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine and the similar compound chloroquine are currently used mostly for patients with autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, but stocks in Australia have been diminished thanks to global publicity — including from US President Donald Trump — about the potential of the drug to treat COVID-19. Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have potentially severe and even deadly side effects if used inappropriately, including
TARGETED: Although hackers are known to be seeking to capitalize on concern over COVID-19, a cybersecurity expert said he had never seen anything to this extent before Elite hackers tried to break into the WHO earlier this month, sources said, part of what a senior agency official said was a more than two-fold increase in cyberattacks. The identity of the hackers was unclear and the effort was unsuccessful, WHO Chief Information Security Officer Flavio Aggio said. However, he warned that hacking attempts against the agency and its partners have soared as they battle to contain COVID-19, which has killed more than 15,000 worldwide. The attempted break-in at the WHO was first flagged to Reuters by Alexander Urbelis, a cybersecurity expert and attorney with the New York-based Blackstone Law Group,
PORNHUB: Campaigners warn that videos of serious crimes, such as rape, are being uploaded to the site, which has failed to ban or moderate illegal content British lawmakers and campaigners are calling for urgent action to stop videos of rape, revenge porn and child abuse being posted on Pornhub as traffic to the site booms amid a worldwide COVID-19 lockdown. Pornhub’s traffic is up a record 12 percent this month compared with last month, as millions of people across the world are told to stay in their homes. Pornhub owner Mindgeek has used the coronavirus lockdowns to promote its site, giving free Premium access to people living in isolation in Italy, Spain and France. The offer has led to a huge increase in visits to the site from affected