US House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan on Tuesday definitively ruled out a bid for president this year, insisting that the Republican Party’s choice should emerge from the group of candidates who pursued the nomination.
“Count me out,” the 2012 vice presidential candidate told reporters.
In a statement at the Republican National Committee headquarters, the Wisconsin Republican sought to calm rampant speculation that he would emerge as the nominee from a potentially contested convention.
Many in the party are worried that frontrunner Donald Trump becoming the nominee could mean losing the general election in November to the Democrats.
“We have too much work to do in the House to allow this speculation to swirl or have my motivations questioned,” Ryan said. “Let me be clear: I do not want nor will I accept the Republican nomination.”
Ryan’s comments came as a contested convention looks more likely by the day. Ryan and his aides have continually denied the speaker has presidential ambitions this year.
Ryan also denied he wanted to be House speaker last year after then-speaker John Boehner announced his resignation, but ended up with the job anyway.
Tuesday’s appearance might not be enough to quiet the talk about Ryan, given the unpredictable twists of the Republican presidential primary.
“So let me speak directly to the delegates on this: If no candidate has a majority on the first ballot, I believe you should only choose a person who actually participated in the primary. Count me out,” Ryan said. “I simply believe that if you want to be the nominee, to be the president, you should actually run for it. I chose not to. Therefore, I should not be considered. Period.”
Trump looks unlikely to win the necessary delegates to clinch the nomination ahead of the July convention. That would allow his lead challenger, Senator Ted Cruz, to make a play for the job.
Party leaders fear that neither Trump nor Cruz could beat likely Democratic nominee Hillary Rodham Clinton in November. They also fear the Republicans will not be able to hold onto control of the US Senate with Trump or Cruz at the top of the ticket.
If neither candidate can get the delegate votes necessary as balloting progresses in the party convention, chaos could result and other Republicans who are not running could emerge.
As a young and charismatic conservative, popular with donors and with some conservative activists, Ryan’s name has been at the top of that list for months. Ryan is also seen as a possible candidate in 2020.
In an interview earlier on Tuesday on WISN radio in Milwaukee, Ryan laughed when asked if he was working behind the scenes to “steal” the nomination.
“No, I am not,” Ryan said. “This is just amazing. It is just amazing how these things keep going.”
ACADEMIC FREEDOM: One professor told her students to submit anonymized papers and not to record any online classes. Some US schools have announced similar steps Students at Oxford University specializing in the study of China are being asked to submit some papers anonymously to protect them from the possibility of retribution under the sweeping new security law introduced three months ago in Hong Kong. The anonymity ruling is to be applied in classes, and group tutorials are to be replaced by one-to-ones. Students are also to be warned that it will be viewed as a disciplinary offence if they tape classes or share them with outside groups. The Hong Kong National Security Law was imposed on June 30 by Beijing after more than a year of pro-democracy
Japan’s government yesterday urged people to seek help if they were struggling to cope, following Sunday’s death of the popular actress and Miss Sherlock star Yuko Takeuchi, 40. News of her death shocked the nation and follows other recent cases of Japanese celebrities taking their lives, with figures showing a recent rise in suicides. Takeuchi was a household name in Japan and had given birth to her second child in January. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato did not mention a particular case, but said that some people were struggling to cope during the COVID-19 pandemic. “There has been an uptick in the number
China on Thursday lashed out at the US at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the COVID-19 pandemic, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough.” Two days after US President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft, also took an outraged tone — after which her Chinese counterpart showed palpable anger. “I must say, enough is enough. You have created enough troubles for the world already,” Chinese Ambassador to the UN Zhang Jun (張軍) told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference
PAPAL POLITICS? The controversial Australian prelate’s return to Rome comes just days after the pope fired one of his most powerful opponents over a financial scandal Cardinal George Pell, Pope Francis’ former finance minister, is to soon return to the Vatican during an extraordinary economic scandal for the first time since he was cleared of child abuse allegations in Australia five months ago, a church agency said yesterday. Pell is to fly back to Rome today, CathNews, an information agency of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference said, citing “sources close to” Pell. Pell’s return follows Francis last week firing one of the cardinal’s most powerful opponents, Cardinal Angelo Becciu, over a financial scandal. Pell was regarded as the third-highest-ranking Vatican official and was attempting to wrestle the Holy See’s