Former Democratic Republic of the Congo (DR Congo) vice president Jean-Pierre Bemba was on Monday found guilty of a ruthless campaign of widespread rapes and killings by his private army in the Central African Republic (CAR), in a landmark war crimes verdict.
It is the first case at the International Criminal Court (ICC) to highlight both sexual violence as a weapon of war and a military commander’s overall responsibility for the actions of his troops, and was swiftly welcomed by rights groups.
The judges found Bemba guilty on all five charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity, saying he had retained “effective command and control” more than 1,500 men he sent in to the CAR to quell an attempted coup against then-CAR president Ange-Felix Patasse.
Bemba, dressed in a dark suit and red tie, listened tensely through headphones as presiding judge Sylvia Steiner read out the verdict in English.
Chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda hailed the verdict as “historic” saying at the end of a marathon trial that the victims had been waiting a “long time” for justice.
Hollywood star and activist Angelina Jolie said in a statement it was “shocking” that the “landmark conviction” is a first at the ICC.
“I can only imagine the reaction of victims who in their hearts probably never thought that this day would come,” said Jolie, co-founder of the Preventing Sexual Violence Initiative.
However, Bemba’s defense lawyer, Peter Haynes, said his client was “disappointed” by the judgement.
The 53-year-old Bemba, who has been behind bars since he was captured in 2008, is expected to appeal.
The judges dismissed Bemba’s defense that his Congolese Liberation Movement (MLC) had come under the control of the CAR’s hierarchy when they crossed into the neighboring country in late October 2002.
Speaking slowly, Steiner read out a chilling list of rapes and atrocities, detailing how MLC forces had deliberately targeted civilians as part of a modus operandi as they sought to halt the coup bid against Patasse.
Men, women and children were all raped — in one case three generations of the same family were gang-raped by MLC soldiers who held them at gun point and forced relatives to watch.
Bemba was in constant communication with his forces, issued “direct operational orders” and “had knowledge” of what was happening on the ground, Steiner said, but he had not stopped the violence.
Once a feared rebel leader in the north of the Democratic Republic of Congo, Bemba “retained primary ... authority over the MLC troops” in the CAR, she said.
Bemba will be sentenced at a later date and could face up to 30 years in jail — or even a life sentence, if the court considers that it is “justified by the extreme gravity of the crime.”
“The paramount importance of this verdict cannot be overstated. It is a landmark along the road to justice for victims of crimes of sexual violence,” Central African League for Human Rights president Andre Olivier Manguereka said.
Amnesty International said the guilty verdict “sends a clear message that impunity for sexual violence as a tool of war will not be tolerated.”
French authorities yesterday said that they would close a Paris mosque as part of a clampdown on radical Islam that has yielded over a dozen arrests following the beheading of a teacher who had shown his pupils a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed. The mosque in a densely populated suburb northeast of Paris had disseminated a video on its Facebook page days before Friday’s gruesome murder, railing against teacher Samuel Paty’s choice of material for a class discussion on freedom of expression, a source close to the investigation said. The French Ministry of the Interior said the mosque in Pantin, which has
LONGSTANDING NEUTRALITY: The US request came as it vied for influence in Southeast Asia with China, but Indonesia has never let foreign militaries operate there Indonesia this year rejected a proposal by the US to allow its P-8 Poseidon maritime surveillance planes to land and refuel there, four senior Indonesian officials familiar with the matter have said. US officials made multiple “high-level” approaches in July and August to Indonesia’s defense and foreign ministers before Indonesian President Joko Widodo rebuffed the request, the officials said. Representatives for Indonesia’s president and defense minister, the US Department of State’s Office of Press Relations and the US embassy in Jakarta did not respond to requests for comment. Representatives for the US Department of Defense and Indonesian Minister of Foreign Affairs Retno Marsudi
COVID-19 UNDER CONTROL: The two prime ministers agreed to ease entry bans, and allow short-term business visits and reopen flights between Vietnam and Japan Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, in his first overseas summit since taking office last month, yesterday agreed with Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc to step up defense and security cooperation in the face of China’s expanding influence in the region. In talks in Hanoi, Suga and Phuc set up a basic agreement allowing Japan to export defense equipment and technology to Vietnam. Japan has been pursuing such agreements to bolster ties with Southeast Asian nations and sustain its own defense industry. Suga said that his four-day trip to Vietnam and Indonesia would be key to pursuing the “free and open Indo-Pacific” vision
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday night said that he has no problem with being held responsible for the many killings under his crackdown on drugs, and that he is ready to face charges that could land him in jail, but not charges of crimes against humanity. Duterte’s televised remarks were among his clearest acknowledgement of the prospects that he could face a deluge of criminal charges for the bloody campaign he launched after taking office in the middle of 2016. Police have reported that at least 5,856 drug suspects have been killed in raids and more than 256,000 others arrested since