Germany on Thursday said it would speed up the repatriation of rejected asylum seekers as new figures showed the country inching closer to the million-migrant mark and EU forecasts showed even more people seeking refuge in Europe next year.
After weeks of infighting in Germany’s ruling coalition over how to absorb record numbers of refugees Chancellor Angela Merkel and the leaders of two allied parties agreed that those deemed economic migrants — from countries not at war — would be sent home within three weeks.
The coalition leaders also agreed to set up three to five “reception centers” for asylum seekers deemed on arrival to have little chance of being allowed to stay — a move aimed at making it easier to repatriate those denied refugee status.
Photo: AP
“We took a good and important step forward,” said Merkel, who had faced growing criticism over her open-door refugee policy.
The agreement between the ruling Christian Democratic Union- Christian Social Union alliance and junior coalition partner, the Social Democrats, came as the European Commission said it expected the number of people fleeing war and poverty to Europe to reach 3 million by 2017.
From an estimated 1 million this year the commission predicted the numbers would soar to 1.5 million next year before falling back to half a million in 2017.
Stormier seas at the onset of winter have failed to stem the trans-Mediterranean refugee deluge.
The UN refugee agency on Thursday said it expected up to 600,000 additional migrants to cross by boat from Turkey to Greece over the next four months.
Two more children, a young girl and six-year-old boy, died on Thursday in the quest for a new life, adding to the grim toll of about 3,400 deaths in Mediterranean migrant shipwrecks this year, many of them minors.
The children died after the boat in which they were traveling sank off the Greek island of Kos.
On a visit to the nearby island of Lesbos, where a sailors’ strike has prevented thousands of arriving migrants continuing their journey to the Greek mainland, Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras said the migrant deaths were “a crime ... which must be stopped.”
Tsipras, who is to visit Turkey later this month for talks on the refugee issue, said registration facilities should be set up on the Turkish coast “so that no one has to risk losing their life in the cold waters of the Aegean.”
The vast majority of the people fleeing war and poverty across the Mediterranean have their sights set on Germany, which registered more than 758,000 asylum seekers from January to last month, mostly from Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan, the Germany Ministry of the Interior said on Thursday.
Berlin has already taken a firmer line against asylum seekers from so-called “safe origin” Balkans states, leading to a sharp drop last month in arrivals from countries such as Albania and Kosovo.
In its first assessment of the economic effect of Europe’s biggest migration crisis since World War II, the European Commission said the influx — far from being a drain on economies as some Europeans fear — could boost GDP by 0.2 to 0.3 percent.
The German government also sought to allay fears about the economic cost of its pro-refugee policies, assuring it could balance its budget for next year despite spending billions more this year on migrant care.
However, other European states foresee difficulty.
Sweden, which has received more asylum seekers per capita than any other EU country, this week appealed to other countries to help share its load.
The request earned a swift rebuttal from Denmark.
“Each country has chosen [its] policy on refugees,” Danish Minister of Foreign Affairs Kristian Jensen told Ritzau news agency. “They have chosen theirs, and they must now handle it whichever way they want.”
School bullies in Singapore are to face caning under new guidelines, but the education minister on Tuesday said it would be meted out only as a last resort with strict safeguards. Human rights groups regularly criticize Singapore for the use of corporal punishment, which remains part of the school and criminal justice systems, but authorities have defended it as a deterrent to crime and serious misconduct. Caning was discussed in the parliament after legislators asked how it would be used in relation to bullying in schools. The debate followed stricter guidelines on serious student misconduct, including bullying, unveiled by the Singaporean Ministry of
‘GROSS NEGLIGENCE?’ Despite a spleen typically being significantly smaller than a liver, the surgeon said he believed Bryan’s spleen was ‘double the size of what is normal’ A Florida surgeon who is facing criminal charges after allegedly removing a patient’s liver instead of his spleen has said he is “forever traumatized” by that person’s death. In a deposition from November last year that was recently obtained by NBC, 44-year-old Thomas Shaknovsky described the death of 70-year-old William Bryan as an “incredibly unfortunate event that I regret deeply.” Bryan died after the botched surgery; and last month, a grand jury in Tallahassee indicted Shaknovsky on a charge of manslaughter. “I’m forever traumatized by it and hurt by it,” Shaknovsky added, also saying that wrong-site surgeries can happen “during
A MESSAGE: Japan’s participation in the Balikatan drills is a clear deterrence signal to China not to attack Taiwan while the US is busy in the Middle East, an analyst said The Japan Self-Defense Forces yesterday fired a Type 88 anti-ship missile during a joint maritime exercise with US, Australian and Philippine forces, hitting a decommissioned Philippine Navy ship in waters facing the disputed South China Sea, in drills that underscore Tokyo’s rising willingness to project military power on China’s doorstep. The drill took place as Manila and Tokyo began talks on a potential defense equipment transfer, made possible by Japan’s decision to scrap restrictions on military exports. The discussions include the possible early transfer of Abukuma-class destroyers and TC-90 aircraft to the Philippines, Japanese Minister of Defense Shinjiro Koizumi said. Philippine Secretary of
A South Korean judge who last week more than doubled former South Korean first lady Kim Keon-hee’s prison sentence was found dead yesterday, police said. Shin Jong-o was found unconscious at about 1am at the Seoul High Court building, an investigator at the Seocho District Police Station in Seoul said. Shin was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead, he said. “There is no sign of foul play in the death,” the investigator added. Local media reported that Shin had left a suicide note, but the investigator said there was none. On Tuesday last week, Shin presided over 53-year-old Kim’s appeal trial, finding her guilty