The chlorine was expired. The protective gear was missing. And the red tape was so thick that responders fighting last year’s Ebola outbreak had trouble getting approval for boots and buckets.
Last year’s Ebola epidemic pitted a lethal virus against barely-there health systems, and it was always going to be deadly. However, an Associated Press investigation has found that a string of avoidable errors badly undermined the work of international aid workers.
The WHO, charged with leading the fight against global outbreaks, already has been criticized over its management of the disease-fighting effort. Earlier this year, an AP investigation found that the WHO delayed declaring an international emergency — similar to an SOS signal — on political and economic grounds. Newly obtained e-mails, documents and interviews show that the WHO and other responders failed to organize a strong response even after the signal was issued.
Experts say that the bungling ultimately cost lives.
“There’s no question that a better and earlier response from WHO could have resulted in thousands and thousands of fewer deaths than we saw,” said Irwin Redlener, director of the National Center for Disaster Preparedness at Columbia University in New York.
Kenema is a diamond town whose potholed roads turn to red sludge in the rainy season. Experts and insiders say the chaotic response there last year was a microcosm of the Ebola-fighting efforts across West Africa as the disease spiraled out of control.
To date, Ebola has killed more than 11,000 people and officials estimate the epidemic won’t be stopped before the end of the year.
As Ebola cases climbed in July last year, WHO Director-General Margaret Chan (陳馮富珍) identified Kenema as one of two priority areas.
“Transportation, PPE [personal protective equipment] and other equipment must [be] provided,” she wrote on July 24 last year.
However, staffers regularly received expired or questionable chlorine, incidents that spooked an already rattled staff.
Nurse Donnell Tholley said workers sometimes resorted to donning ill-fitting gloves for their hands and stray plastic packaging on their feet — instead of the tall protective rubber boots they needed.
More than 40 health workers died and others abandoned the hospital out of fear.
Joseph Fair, a US disease expert in Freetown advising the Sierra Leonean government, described the WHO as “paralyzed,” recalling interminable conference calls debating things like the color of body bags.
The situation at Kenema Government Hospital was horrific — blood-drenched patients lay in agony in understaffed wards and WHO staffers made repeated requests for support that went unanswered. Other aid workers declined to work there, citing the dangerous conditions; there was virtually no triage and patients often were shuffled to the Ebola ward with incomprehensible slips of paper.
When the Red Cross offered to build an Ebola treatment center to alleviate the pressure on the hospital, it was held up because no one in Sierra Leone’s government or the WHO could tell them where to build it.
“We are at risk of very poor perception by the public when we send in IFRC [International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies] then block their ability to care for patients,” the WHO’s Ian Norton wrote in a note to his colleagues.
By the time the clinic was finally built, the peak of the outbreak in Kenema had passed. Twenty health workers were infected in the interim.
Many patients who succumbed to the virus were buried in a cemetery behind the clinic, their graves marked with numbers instead of names.
Bruce Aylward, the WHO’s top Ebola official, said it was common for Ebola treatment centers to be caught up in political wrangling.
“Undoubtedly in some cases there was bureaucracy,” he said.
However, he said it was wrong to lay the blame at the WHO’s door.
“These were government decisions at the end of the day,” he said.
Complaints about the WHO’s leadership focused in part on Jacob Mufunda, the agency’s top representative in Sierra Leone.
Requests to fix critical problems like the hospital’s shaky generator regularly went unfulfilled by Mufunda’s office, leaving staffers to cover thousands of dollars’ worth of expenses out of their own pockets, according to two people who were there at the time, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the press.
An e-mail from Chan, which AP obtained, corroborates allegations of tight-fistedness, not just in Kenema, but across West Africa.
Chan told Mufunda and other senior officials that only a tiny fraction of needed cash was being released and that the problem had festered for four months.
“I expect all our colleagues ... to facilitate experts and staff to do their field work and not to post barriers because business as usual does not work during crisis,” she wrote.
Mufunda, who was reassigned to run the WHO’s office in Mozambique shortly thereafter, did not return messages seeking comment.
The problems that hamstrung the Ebola response have prompted soul-searching at the WHO and across the public health community.
Two months ago, a WHO-commissioned panel criticized the organization’s lack of leadership, but did not mention the logistical problems uncovered by AP.
All of the top leaders at WHO during the Ebola outbreak remain on the payroll, except for its Africa director, who retired after serving out his term. That has left many outside the WHO dismayed.
“I personally would have no confidence that the same team at WHO would be able to handle the next international outbreak,” Redlener said. “We’ve already seen what the old leadership at WHO has been able to do so I don’t know why we would expect them to be able to right themselves.”
Three years after a deadly virus struck India’s endangered Asiatic lions in their last remaining natural habitat, conservationists are hunting for new homes to help booming prides roam free. The majestic big cats, slightly smaller than their African cousins and with a fold of skin along their bellies, were once found widely across southwest Asia. Hunting and human encroachment saw the population plunge to just 20 by 1913, and the lions are now found only in a wildlife sanctuary in India’s western Gujarat State. Following years of concerted government efforts, the lion population in Gir National Park has swelled to nearly 700, according
A rogue overgrown sheep found roaming through regional Australia has been shorn of his 35kg fleece — a weight even greater than that of the famous New Zealand sheep Shrek, who was captured in 2005 after six years on the loose. The merino ram, dubbed Baarack by rescuers, was discovered wandering alone with an extraordinarily overgrown wool coat, and was promptly shorn to save his life. Kyle Behrend, from the Edgar’s Mission farm sanctuary, said that it appeared Baarack was “once an owned sheep” who had escaped. Merino sheep do not shed their fleece and need to be shorn at least annually, as
DMZ SWIM: Over more than three hours, South Korean surveillance cameras caught him eight times and audible alarms sounded twice, but border guards did not notice A North Korean defector wore a diving suit and fins during a daring six-hour swim around one of the world’s most fortified borders and was only caught after apparently falling asleep, a Seoul official said. South Korean forces did not spot the man’s audacious exploit, despite his appearance several times on surveillance cameras after he landed and triggered alarms, drawing heavy criticism from media and opposition lawmakers. Even after his presence was noticed, the man — who used diving gear to make his way by sea around the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) that divides the Korean Peninsula — was not caught for another
The Paris prosecutor’s office on Tuesday said that French actor Gerard Depardieu was in December last year charged with rape and sexual assault after authorities revived a 2018 investigation that was initially dropped. Depardieu was not detained when he was handed the preliminary charges on Dec. 16 last year, the office said. The prosecutor’s office addressed the charges after the case was leaked to the media. Media reports have said that the charges relate to allegations made by an actress in her 20s that date back to 2018. An initial inquiry against the star was dropped in 2019 because of lack of evidence, but