Yemen peace talks ended in Geneva on Friday with no agreement, but the UN said it was still optimistic a ceasefire could be reached “pretty soon.”
“I won’t beat around the bush. There was no kind of agreement reached,” UN Special Envoy for Yemen Ould Cheikh Ahmed said.
However, he hailed “certain positive signs” in his negotiations with the warring factions, adding that both sides seemed to agree on the need for a ceasefire.
“We feel that it requires simply some further consultations and that we can achieve it pretty soon,” said the envoy, who now heads to New York to brief UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the UN Security Council.
No date has yet been set for a fresh round of talks, but the Mauritanian diplomat said he hoped a desperately needed humanitarian pause in the fighting could be put in place before any new talks.
Yemen has been wracked by conflict between Iran-backed Shiite rebels and troops loyal to exiled Yemeni President Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi, who fled to Saudi Arabia in February.
The rebels have overrun much of the Sunni-majority country and, along with their allies among forces loyal to ousted Yemeni president Ali Abdullah Saleh, have been the target of Saudi-led air strikes since March. More than 2,600 people have been killed.
“I am disappointed, we did everything to make the talks a success, but there were too many obstacles, especially the demand for a withdrawal,” rebel delegation leader Hamza al-Huthi said. “We cannot withdraw and leave a vacuum, but I am hopeful that we will be able to talk again in the near future.”
Ban launched the high-stakes Geneva negotiations on Monday with an appeal for a two-week humanitarian truce during the holy Muslim month of Ramadan.
However, the belligerents’ positions were so far apart that they did even sit down in the same room, forcing Ould Cheikh Ahmed to shuttle between separate locations.
Yemen’s exiled foreign minister blamed the lack of progress on the rebel delegation.
“We really came here with a big hope ... but unfortunately the Huthi delegation did not allow us really to reach real progress as we expected,” Yassin told reporters.
The government delegation remained optimistic of a peaceful solution for Yemen “under the umbrella of the UN,” he added.
However, Ould Cheikh Ahmed however insisted that just getting the two sides to Geneva had been “a great achievement,” as he pledged to intensify his push for peace.
“The Geneva consultations are not the end in themselves, but the launch of a long and arduous path” towards finding a peaceful solution, he said.
And the US said the Geneva talks were “a useful start to the process to what will probably be a lengthy process.”
“We continue to urge all Yemeni participants to prioritize reaching an agreement to end the fighting,” US Department of State spokesman John Kirby said.
As the talks wrapped up on Friday, the UN launched an appeal for US$1.6 billion to help millions of people in need in the war-ravaged country.
“I am deliberately raising the alarm about the looming humanitarian catastrophe facing Yemen, where over 21 million Yemenis, 80 percent of the country’s population, are in need of some form of aid to meet their basic needs or protect their basic rights today,” UN Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Stephen O’Brian told reporters.
“These numbers are difficult to comprehend,” he said, but insisted “we must not grow numb to the suffering of each and every individual who lies behind them.”
Friday’s funding appeal will cover aid, including food, water and shelter, to 11.7 million of the most vulnerable people in need through the end of the year.
The appeal was revised up from a combined US$1.02 billion requested in December and April for Yemen.
Only about one-fifth of the needed cash has so far been received, the UN said.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete