Lawyers acting for the woman who alleges she was forced by a billionaire financier to have sex with Britain’s Prince Andrew when she was 17 are formally requesting that he respond to her accusations under oath.
A letter addressed to the prince at Buckingham Palace asking him to take part in a two-hour interview was filed with a court in Florida on Wednesday.
It features a photograph of Andrew with his arm around Virginia Roberts, referred to in court as Jane Doe No 3, who last month alleged that she was made to have sexual relations with Andrew by his friend Jeffrey Epstein, a former hedge fund tycoon and convicted sex offender.
“This letter is a formal request ... to interview you, under oath, regarding interactions that you had with Jane Doe No 3 beginning in approximately early 2001,” the letter states.
The letter was part of a legal submission from Roberts that contains new details about her alleged encounters with Andrew that she said occurred when she was 17.
In a sworn affidavit to the court, contained in the same legal bundle, Roberts also states she has asked her lawyers to “pursue all reasonable and legitimate means” to have criminal charges brought against “powerful people” whom she claimed Epstein made her have sex with.
The new documents were filed in a Florida court 24 hours before Andrew was expected to deliver his first public remarks about his controversial relationship with Epstein, a convicted sex offender, and the accusations leveled by Roberts.
Buckingham Palace has repeatedly and forcefully denied Andrew had sex with Roberts but so far declined to respond to any specific questions about his friendship with Epstein, or comment directly on alleged specific encounters with Roberts when she was a teenager.
The prince was scheduled to speak at a reception at the World Economic Forum in Davos yesterday evening — his first public appearance since Roberts’ allegations resurfaced in court papers on Dec. 30 last year.
Buckingham Palace previously described Roberts’ allegations as “categorically untrue” and forcefully denied “any form of sexual contact or relationship” between Andrew and Roberts, adding: “The allegations made are false and without any foundation.”
Palace aides have said Andrew plans to use the appearance at Davos to publicly deny the allegations.
Shortly after the court documents were filed on Wednesday, a palace spokesperson said: “We have nothing to add to our earlier comments.”
In her sworn affidavit, Roberts said: “I have seen Buckingham Palace’s recent ‘emphatic’ denial that Prince Andrew had sexual contact with me. That denial is false and hurtful to me. I did have sexual contact with him as I have described here — under oath. Given what he knows and has seen, I was hoping that he would simply voluntarily tell the truth about everything. I hope my attorneys can interview Prince Andrew under oath about the contacts and that he will tell the truth.”
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete