Two men have been arrested after counterterrorism raids in Sydney, Australian officials said yesterday, following long-running investigations into those suspected of backing fighters involved in conflicts such as those in Syria and Iraq.
Officers arrested one man on Friday last week following raids at four properties in Sydney’s southwest that police officers said were “part of a long-running investigation and not as a result of any specific terrorism threat.”
A 33-year-old was arrested and charged with acquiring and possessing ammunition illegally, police officials said.
The investigation, which has been running for more than a year, is looking into alleged financial and other support for foreign fighters in conflicts abroad, officials said.
Officials said the raids were not connected to the 16-hour standoff at a Sydney cafe last month that left the lone gunman — self-styled Muslim cleric Man Haron Monis — and two hostages dead.
However, they follow large-scale counterterrorism raids across the nation in September last year that came as Australia upgraded its terror threat to “high” on growing concern about militants returning from conflicts in the Middle East.
Separately, a 21-year-old man was arrested on Friday on warrants related to the possession of unauthorized and unregistered firearms and ammunition found in a separate raid last month.
His arrest came as part of a counterterrorism operation targeting people suspected of involvement in domestic terrorist acts and the funding of terror groups, police said.
Both men’s cases were adjourned yesterday until next week; lawyer Adam Houda, who is representing both, said that his clients were not facing terror charges.
“There is no suggestion at all there are any links with any terrorism,” he said outside the court.
“One of the hallmarks of our justice system is the presumption of innocence. So presume them innocent,” he said.
The Australian government has said that more than 70 Australians are currently fighting for Muslim militants in Iraq and Syria, with at least 20 believed to have died.
Last year, Canberra passed a law criminalizing travel to terror hotspots without good reason. Those charged could face up to 10 years in jail.
‘CONFESSED’: A court in Beijing said that former CCP member Ren Zhiqiang abused his power at a state firm and embezzled almost US$7.14 million of public funds A Chinese tycoon who called Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a clown and criticized his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was yesterday jailed for 18 years for corruption, bribery and embezzlement of public funds. Ren Zhiqiang (任志強) — once among the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) inner circle — disappeared from the public eye in March, shortly after penning an essay that lambasted Xi’s pandemic response. His outspokenness had earned the former chairman of state-owned property developer Huayuan Group the nickname “Big Cannon.” Yesterday’s verdict said that Ren embezzled almost 50 million yuan (US$7.4 million) of public funds and accepted bribes worth 1.25 million
AUSTRALIAN SITE: China has had a contract with SSC’s Yatharagga station since at least 2011, but the last time it used it was in June 2013. No final date has been given China would lose access to a strategic space tracking station in Western Australia when its contract expires, the facility’s owners said, a decision that cuts into Beijing’s expanding space exploration and navigational capabilities in the Pacific region. The Swedish Space Corp (SSC) has had a contract allowing Beijing access to the satellite antenna at the station since at least 2011. The station is located next to an SSC satellite station primarily used by the US and its agencies, including NASA. The Swedish state-owned company said it would not enter into any new contracts at the Australian site to support Chinese customers after
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
The scarcity of commercial flights landing at Sydney Airport has been a disaster for airlines and workers, but for hobby pilots the COVID-19 pandemic has provided the opportunity of a lifetime. The quieter-than-usual runways mean that private pilots have been given the chance to land at the international airport for the first time. When Sydney Flight College club captain Tim Lindley put out a call, he received an overwhelming response. He eventually organized for 14 light aircraft to fly into Sydney airport on Sunday. “For a lot of the pilots involved, including myself, it was a childhood dream to land in a big