Iraqi forces broke the Islamic State (IS) group’s months-long siege of the country’s largest oil refinery on Saturday as the US’ top officer flew in to discuss the expanding war against the extremists.
Completely expelling IS fighters from the area around the refinery would be another significant achievement for Baghdad, a day after pro-government forces retook the nearby town of Baiji.
“Iraqi forces... reached the gate of the refinery,” Salaheddin Province Governor Raad al-Juburi told reporters.
Three military officers confirmed that Iraqi forces had reached the refinery, 200km north of Baghdad, where security forces have been surrounded and under repeated attack since June.
This new success for the government came a day after the recapture of nearby Baiji, the largest town to be retaken since IS-led militants swept across Iraq’s Sunni Arab heartland in June.
It also followed another victory earlier in the week in the eastern province of Diyala, where a joint operation by the army and Shiite militiamen wrested back control of the Adhaim Dam, one of the country’s largest.
France, one of the nations taking part in anti-IS coalition air strikes, on Saturday hailed the “remarkable progress” made by Iraqi forces.
A breakthrough preliminary deal reached on Thursday between the federal government and the autonomous Kurdish region on long-standing budget and oil disputes also raised the prospect of increased coordination in the fight against IS, formerly known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
However, with three major cities and a swathe of other territory still in IS hands, the fight is far from over.
The US’ top military officer, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman General Martin Dempsey, arrived in Iraq for talks on the expanding military operations against the extremists with Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi and other Iraqi and US officials.
He also traveled north to Arbil and met Massud Barzani, president of the autonomous Kurdish region.
A US-led coalition is carrying out a campaign of air strikes targeting IS militants in both Iraq and Syria, and Washington has announced plans to increase the number of its military personnel in Iraq to up to 3,100.
The US and other governments have pledged trainers and advisers to aid Iraqi security forces in their battle against IS.
US personnel are assessing deployment sites, including Al-Asad Air Base in Anbar, a key province that stretches from the borders with Syria, Jordan and Saudi Arabia to the western approach to Baghdad.
The IS group released an audio recording on Thursday purportedly of its chief, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, after rumors that coalition air strikes might have killed or wounded him.
It has had most of the initiative in recent months, but the man said to be Baghdadi seemed at pains to reassure his followers, and the lack of video in the message failed to dispel speculation he might still have been wounded.
The operation to retake Baiji began more than four weeks ago when security forces and pro-government fighters began advancing towards the town from the south.
Slowed by bombs the militants had planted on the way, they finally entered the town on Oct. 31.
The huge refinery once produced 300,000 barrels a day, accounting for half of the nation’s needs in refined oil products.
It is also on the road linking the two largest cities in Iraq under IS control, Mosul and Tikrit.
Washington has repeatedly stated that it would not deploy “combat troops” to Iraq, but Dempsey said on Thursday that sending out advisers alongside Iraqi forces was something that “we’re certainly considering.”
As federal forces, Kurdish peshmerga fighters, Sunni tribesmen and Shiite militias battle IS on several fronts, near-daily bombings take their toll.
On Saturday, a blast in an area north of Baghdad killed at least four people, a day after at least 17 died in two explosions in northwestern neighborhoods of the capital.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable